Friday, November 30, 2012

Grocery-a-Lympics

I slept so late today, it was past noon when I finally got to the Acme to do this week's grocery shopping. I mainly needed to restock the fresh fruit and vegetables. I tried to buy whatever was cheapest. Local Gala apples are still $1.49 a pound. I bought collard greens instead of something more expensive, like cauliflower. Got romaine lettuce, too. I'm almost out of cooking spray - I probably should have put it off, because the sale wasn't great.

Spent the rest of the afternoon at my place, doing writing and looking things up online pertaining to a short story I'm working on. When I finished, I had leftover soup for dinner while running Scooby Doo's All-Star Laugh-a-Lympics.

I'm so glad Warners finally released more of this hilarious late-70s gathering of most of Hanna-Barbara's major animated characters of the time. The premise is pretty simple. Three teams, one made up of HB's funny animal characters (the Yogi Yahooeys), one of the mystery-solving teams and human characters (the Scoobys), and one of various villains (the Really Rottens). Each episode puts the teams in two entirely different exotic locations, literally from the North Pole to the South Pacific, in a series of increasingly oddball competitions.

While I've always gone with the Yogis (being a fan of many of the HB funny animals, including Yogi himself), I have to admit, the Rottens are growing on me. Yeah, they cheat pretty outrageously, but they can be just as ingenious as anyone else in getting to the finish line. And there's Daisy Mayhem, the nutty, noisy hillbilly beauty who can probably out-yell and out-throw almost anyone else in the competition except for maybe Grape Ape and the largest of the Dalton brothers.


No comments: