Saturday, December 01, 2012

I Won't Be Home for the Holidays

The morning passed quietly. I watched the remaining two Laugh-a-Lympics episodes, along with a couple of episodes of Max & Ruby and the peculiar 1968 Rankin-Bass special Cricket On the Hearth. I worked on crocheting projects. I had a quick fried egg and salad lunch.

I had just finished working on a story for Helium when I noticed that Yahoo! Messenger wasn't working. Then I saw that everything online wasn't working. My land line phone wasn't even on. Comcast had gone down. I called them, and at least got an automated message indicating that they were aware of the problem and was fixing it. (Which is more than Verizon ever bothered with.) I went to work without having published the story.

Work was very busy when I arrived. Not only did I get there just as rush hour started, but it's the beginning of the month. I received two very disappointing pieces of news on my arrival. First of all, I'm only getting 15 hours again next week. I was sure my hours would go up after the beginning of the month. Second, I don't think I'll be able to go down to be with the family in Cape May County on Christmas Eve. They can't give me the day off. Sam says he'll see what he can do, but I don't really have the seniority to be asking for morning work.

At least what schedule I do have next week is a little better. Only one day, next Saturday, is really late (9:30), and tomorrow is among my days off.

I badly need to talk to someone who can help me find a real job. The Acme job is making me completely miserable, but I don't know where else I can go. Most writing, editing, and broadcasting jobs seem to need more experience than I have, and I don't know how to talk myself into the industries.

No comments: