Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ring Out the Old, Ring In the New

Slept until past 10:30 today. When I finally got up, I put on the last Brunch With the Beatles of the year. The theme was "A Decade of #1 Hits," ranging from "Can't Buy Me Love" to "All You Need Is Love" to "The Long and Winding Road." They tossed in George Harrison's New Year's-themed solo song "Ring Out the Old" for good measure. Since I'm probably going to have waffles or pancakes out on New Year's Day, I kept today's pancakes simple and made Journeycakes - cornmeal pancakes - from Felicity's Cooking Studio.

I ate so late, it was almost 1:30 before I made it over to Dad's to do the laundry. He and Jodie were watching the last Eagles game of the season, and probably coach Andy Reid's last game as well. I kind of think they're throwing out the baby with the bathwater over one bad season, but no one's really been happy with him this year. Then again, the Eagles did lose 45-7 to the New York Giants. Despite the rout, the Bears' win did manage to knock Giants out of the playoffs...and out of the running for a second Super Bowl trip in a row.

Dad got so fed up with the Eagles game, he switched around to a couple of different games, including the close Bears-Lions match-up. As mentioned, the Bears finally won that one, 26-24. The Bengals-Ravens game was equally interesting. Both teams fought hard, but the Bengals finally took that one, 23-17. And this wasn't a good day for Dad's teams. At least the Eagles got on the board - the Patriots mangled the Dolphins 28-0.

When I got in, I put away my large load of laundry (washed most of my new clothes, plus some jeans I hadn't done in a while) and had leftover tuna casserole for dinner while listening to my tribute to four music stars I enjoyed who passed on this year. I bought the Rhino Handmade Instant Replay CD set in March; ran the first disc for Davy Jones. Did Side 2 and 3 of my On the Radio LP for Donna Summer. Ran Whitney Houston's first, self-titled album and a collection of Andy Williams singing hit songs from movies (including a lovely version of "Moon River") before heading out to work.

Tonight was one of my two late work shifts this week, and the only night I was closing. It was still fairly steady when I got in, pin-drop quiet when I closed.

No comments: