Friday, December 28, 2012

The Snow Is Coming! The Snow Is Coming!

But before the snow comes, I had errands to run. I slept in this morning and didn't get to the Acme for this week's grocery trip until quarter of 12. Bad idea. The line for the customer service was half-way across the front end, thanks to all the dock workers from down the road getting their paychecks cashed. I shopped first this time. I needed to do a lot of restocking today - cream of mushroom soup (used it in the tuna casserole last night), French vanilla mousse mix, toilet paper, bananas, pears, oranges, romaine lettuce, frozen green peppers, canned mushrooms, peanut butter (the Planters Natural was on a good sale). I'm almost out of eggs and am out of canned chicken. Got chicken legs to make stock, and a nice little spiral ham for my New Year's Day dinner. Those Emerald Trail Mix bags are finally on sale for the first time in ages. I may have to get more before the sale ends; I have a ton of coupons that are going to be done at the end of the year.

Oh, and mixed feelings on my schedule this week. While I do work New Year's Day and New Year's Eve, that's not really that big of a deal. I'm not a huge party person, so I wasn't really planning on having those days off. Not to mention, I work in the afternoon both days, and only four hours New Year's Day. I'll have plenty of time to have my traditional New Year's Day breakfast out and make a decent  holiday dinner. What bothers me is two days until 10 again...and not having another day off after tomorrow until next Saturday.

I found a green bag laying on the porch when I got home. My new winter jacket from L.L Bean had arrived! Mom gave it to me for Christmas, but it was too small. It's still a little tight in the tummy and shoulders, but not nearly as bad as it was. I'll keep it this time. It's a nice forest green color that goes perfectly with the scarves Samantha gave me. I switched coats and wore it on my walk to the bank. (I'll keep the black coat for really cold days or heavy winter storms.)

It's hard to believe we're supposed to get an inch or two of snow tomorrow. It was gorgeous today. Sunny, breezy but not gale-force windy, about average mid-30s temperatures for the time of year. There wasn't a cloud in the brilliant blue sky. Everyone's decorations look so nice, all of the wreaths in windows and wire statues in lawns. The bank wasn't busy when I arrived, and I was able to deposit most of my paycheck in peace.

I spent the rest of the afternoon finishing the new Scooby Doo Christmas/winter DVD set I started this morning. As with the "Around the World"-themed set from last summer, this was another mix of 60s episodes, 70s episodes, Shaggy/Scooby/Scrappy shorts, and episodes from What's New, Scooby Doo?. My favorite that wasn't already available on Scooby Doo: Winter Wonderdog was "Whatta Shocking Ghost," an episode from the original 60s-early 70s series. The gang find themselves stranded at a remote mountain hamlet that's had visitors from the high-voltage ghost of a man who vanished while working on a power line. The Mayor of the town wants to warn them away, but the gang become determined to find out just what this shocking spirit is really after.

Ran a public-domain Fleischer Brothers Superman short as I prepared for work. Unlike the Mystery Inc gang, Clark Kent has no time for skiing in a lodge. He has to switch to his Superman guise to ward off a frozen dinosaur that's defrosted and is rampaging in downtown Metropolis (looking very much like Godzilla would over a decade later).

Despite several managers insisting that it was busy earlier, thanks to the weather report and the upcoming holiday, by the time I got into work, the rush hour was winding down. It was very quiet for most of the night. I spend a lot of time doing anything to not be bored - cleaning, pulling shelves.

No comments: