Sunday, December 23, 2012

Rockin' Christmas

This morning was Brunch With the Beatles' annual Christmas Show. Every year, they play John Lennon's "Happy Xmas (The War Is Over)," Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime," George Harrison's "Ring Out the Old," and songs from Ringo Starr's 1999 album I Wanna Be Santa Claus, including the title cut and "The Christmas Dance." We also heard songs culled from a studio album that were supposed to be traditional Christmas carols re-written as Beatles songs, and regular Beatles music that came out during the holiday season (like "We Can Work It Out," "Something," and "Hello Goodbye"). We even get the Beatles' Christmas greetings to their fan club from 1963 and 1964.

I was still feeling a little full from the party at work yesterday and wasn't up to heavy pancakes. I opted to use the Italian bread I bought last week for French toast instead. I topped it with the last of the Peppermint Whipped Cream Frosting. It was absolutely divine. Tried to call Mom after I finished, but I never did hear from her. She's probably busy getting ready for tomorrow.

Normally, I do my laundry on Monday or Tuesday. Those days are going to be very busy this week. I opted to do it today instead. Besides, I had a huge load, and I figured I might as well get it done sooner than later. I wheeled it over to Dad's in Miss Ellie's old cart. It was a lovely day for a walk. Yesterday's clouds, wind, and chill had been replaced by a nice breeze, a bright, cloudless blue sky, and perfectly normal mid-to-upper 40s temperatures.

Dad and Jodie were both at home when I arrived. Dad got in Wednesday evening. He and Jodie were preparing for a party for friends and neighbors they're having tomorrow night. I'm invited, too. Fine by me. I'll save dinner at Applebee's for later this week, or another time. I came in around 12:30. The Fox pre-game show was more fun than usual. They had Brian Setzer and his orchestra playing "Boogie-Woogie Santa Claus" and "Rockin' to the Christmas," which was totally awesome. I have two Brian Setzer CDs and his earlier 80s "Stray Cat Strut" album.

I had a pleasant afternoon. I talked to my stepsister Jessa when she finally came downstairs; she'd spent most of the morning napping. We had such a good time shopping together after Christmas last year, we decided to get together and do it again this year. Since Lauren gave me a Macy's card, I though we might take a trip into downtown Philadelphia, instead of trying to squeeze into a busy mall. I took Jess and a girlfriend of hers into Philly on New Year's Eve about five years ago, and it went really well. 

Rose arrived with Khai during half-time. Apparently, she'd been called into work, and Jodie and Dad had agreed to watch him for the rest of the day. That made me happy, too. Khai was so much fun to play with. Trains are his big thing right now. He told Jodie and me that he wants a "green choo-choo" for Christmas (his exact words). His speech is getting better, too. He can say "Santa Claus" clear as day. I hated to leave him when my laundry was done. We were just getting his several different brand of toddler train tracks sorted out.

The Eagles game wasn't going as well. They started out with a touchdown in the first few minutes, but it was mostly downhill from there. A comeback in the second half wasn't enough to offset several really big mistakes, including a huge fumble in the second quarter that lost the ball to the Redskins. The 'Skins eventually won, 27-20.

I saw Linda, my landlord Andrew's wife, outside as I pushed the cart home. She gave me a hug and thanked me for the cupcakes. I explained about everything that had happened the last few months. She just waved it off; things happen. In fact, she gave me a huge box of fancy Lindt Chocolates for Christmas. Ironically, I'd just been thinking about how I hadn't had one in ages when I saw a commercial for them during the game.

I put my laundry away and worked on a little crocheting at home before packing dinner and heading out to work. The dinner turned out to be not necessary. There were plenty of leftovers from yesterday's extravaganza still in the back room.

Work was busy all night, right up until closing time! We close at 10 on Sundays. I didn't get out until 10 after 10. Everyone must have either been coming from football games or the malls.

No comments: