Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Balance In a Blizzard

Rose and I did make it to Yogawood this time. Despite it just being cloudy at 9:30, it was a very small class, just three other people besides Rose, me, and the teacher Louisa. After an interesting story about how the Hindu elephant god defined "universe," we mostly worked on balance and squatting poses. I've gotten better at balancing, but squatting and kneeling isn't always so great with my bad knees. I could barely do some of those.

It didn't help that we had a major distraction half-way through the class. The snow had started. And when it started, it wouldn't stop. It was already coming down in full force when Rose and I drove home. Despite the snow-covered sidewalks and the slushy streets, I went right upstairs to my apartment...and came right back down with my laundry. I shouldn't have put off doing the laundry yesterday.

There was already at least two or three inches on the ground when I walked to the laundromat. It was rather pretty, though, with the inky slices of trees peeping through the lacy whiteness. My reverie ended when I got to the White Horse Pike and saw the traffic. People must have been let out of work early and were rushing home. It took me 10 minutes just to get across the street.

Things went better when I made it inside. Surprisingly, there were a few other people there, which is more than I thought there would be in what was shaping up to be a major storm. Thank heavens I didn't have a huge load. I read the self-help books I took out of the Haddon Township Library last week while The View and Action News (which was entirely focused on the blizzard) droned in the background.

Channel 6 had a reason to be worried. There had to be at least two or more inches of snow on the ground when I walked home. Not to mention, it was very windy and bitterly cold. It was much harder to push the cart home than it had been going there. The traffic was still pretty bad on the White Horse Pike, too. I saw kids walking home from the Oaklyn School even as I headed back to my apartment.

Ran the very strange Phineas & Ferb/Marvel Comics crossover "Mission Marvel" as I put the laundry away and had a quick leftovers lunch. Thanks to their satellite and one of Dr. Doofenschmirtz's "Inator" rays, four major Marvel heroes - The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, and Spider Man - have been stripped of their powers. While the boys and their friends try to come up with a way to reverse the ray and Candace squees over having Marvel superheroes in her home, Doofenschmirtz befriends the Red Skull and several other Marvel villains...or so he thinks. While the heroes and the boys figure out how to kick rear without powers, the girls try to prove that they can help, too.

Needless to say, I didn't ride my bike to work. Dad drove me there; Rose drove me home. The snow wasn't stopping. It was still coming down hard when I started at 2:30. The traffic wasn't quite as bad by that point; we were steady at work with people who'd gotten off later in the day through about 6, after which, not surprisingly, it died very hard and very fast. I spent the last hour doing a full cart of returns.

At press time, the snow continues to fall. I stuck a ruler into the snow on my porch next to the door. As of about 10PM, there was 9 inches of snow on the porch...and it's supposed to continue until early morning.

No comments: