Sunday, January 26, 2014

Greetings From Oaklyn, NJ

Slept in this morning and didn't get up until Brunch With the Beatles was in full-swing. The US-Only album Hey Jude was Capitol's way of collecting songs that had only been released as singles at that point. These included the title song, "Revolution," "The Ballad of John and Yoko," "Lady Madonna," "Paperback Writer," "Don't Let Me Down," and "I Should Have Known Better."

I made a quick breakfast of Ginger-Spiced French Toast to use up the last of the Multi-Grain Bread from the Acme. After the Beatles ended, I decided to start getting through my long list of CDs and records I haven't listened to yet. Started with one of Bruce Springsteen's more recent releases, Magic, including the hit "Radio Nowhere."

Though it was cold, it wasn't quite as bad as it has been, and the sky remained sunny and largely windless. I decided I was tired of begging for rides and rode my bike to work. This had its own pitfalls. The main streets are clear, but I did have to walk my bike on Manor, which is still clogged with frozen salt and snow. I had to dodge cars on narrow Kendall and on the turn to Nicholson as well, since I couldn't ride on the snow-covered sidewalks.

All of this resulted in me being a little late. This wasn't a good thing - we really needed the help today. We were very busy for most of the evening with people trying to get their shopping done before we're hit with the next round of freezing weather. Thankfully, they'd slowed up enough by 5 that I was able to get home without a relief.

Had a chance to talk to Mom when I got in. She'd just come from an epic, hour-and-a-half hand of Uno with Dad and Skylar, which she eventually won. She was delighted that I'd had a better week despite the wild weather and that my mood had improved, and that the papers she sent me had arrived unscathed. My brother had called her earlier in the week; he's being transferred to Norfolk, where he'll live in the barracks for 6 to 12 months. His girlfriend will stay in Charlotte and get an apartment while they figure out what they want to do with their relationship.

Listened to Bruce Springsteen's first album, Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ, while making dinner. I added the stir-fry vegetables from last night, this time sauteed in an orange sauce, to a leftover chicken leg and the tomato-avocado salad. Yum! It came out very well, especially the vegetables.

No comments: