Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Memories are Magic

Started the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic set yesterday and finished it this morning. While I don't understand how guys got into it, I can generally see why it's been so well-received. It's very well-written, with some of the most full-fleshed characters in any kid-oriented series. My favorites are sassy Applejack and her enormous family and sweet, scholarly Twilight Sparkle. Subsequently, my favorite episodes revolved around them.

Applejack is put in charge of the "Apple Family Reunion," but she makes too many activities that has her family getting worn out rather than enjoying the company. Poor Twilight Sparkle feels left out when her friends all have jobs to do during the "Winter Round Up," but discovers that organization is the most important job of all when it looks like spring will be late due to everyone in Ponyville fighting over which job is bigger. Another cute episode was the last one. Nutty Pinkie Pie wants to have fun with all her friends in "Too Many Pinkie Pies," but there's so many invitations! She can't be in more than one place at a time...or can she? When an ancient spell gives her clones, she thinks she has the way to have all the fun she could ever want, until the clones multiply.

Another goal of mine is to finally do some craft projects I've put off for a while, starting with a new collage. I made one a couple of years ago from various catalogs that I accumulate, but I never had a chance to make another one until today. I cut out photos from the four catalogs Vermont Country Store sent me, the two from American Girl, one each from J.C Penney and L.L Bean. I ended up with photos of several dolls (including Molly, Kit, Rebecca, and a lovely pose of a doll skating from AG's Christmas wish release), all of whom represent my fondness for dolls, skating, and the past. There was a well-dressed woman in a simple outfit, a popcorn maker, a coconut cake and several toys from the Vermont Country Store, and the Frozen dolls - I dress simply, love my cooking, and enjoy cartoons. The little girls in costume remind me of how my sisters and I loved to play dress-up when we were younger. I may see if I can try to make one of these once a season to clear out back catalogs from now on.

The collage took longer than I'd hoped, and I was almost late for work again. I wish I'd stayed at home. Work was a total pain in the rear. People who had been stuck inside for nearly a week thanks to the fluctuating weather were getting cranky and frustrated, and they were taking it out on us. I was fussed at and whined at all day long. I was so glad when one of the college boys came in for my relief and I could head home.

Did some more kids' shows when I got in while making Chocolate-Cranberry Cupcakes, and then leftover ham and roasted Brussels sprouts for dinner. Some of my favorite Max & Ruby episodes revolve around New Year's and the end of the holiday season. "Max's Christmas Passed" has Ruby feeling a little down when she has to take down the Christmas decorations. Max does his best to make his sister feel better about the end of the holiday. Max and Ruby are excited about being able to stay up until midnight for the first time in "Max's New Year," but Max is even more excited about the clock-shaped cookies Grandma baked. In "Ruby's Gingerbread House," Ruby and Louise want to set up a beautiful gingerbread dwelling, but their icing just isn't sticky enough to hold the walls together. Max, on the other hand, just wants them to try his gummy worms.

The Backyardigans have more fun in sci-fi and action cliches. You can't stop the cops in "Cops and Robots," as space police-critters Tyrone and Uniqua chase bad 'bots Pablo and Tasha across the galaxy. Uniqua and Pablo have even more trouble moving Sultan Tyrone's magic objects, even with the help of Genie Austin, in "Movers of Arabia."

No comments: