Monday, December 15, 2014

The Gift of Books

For once, it was sunny and bright when I got up this morning. I ran cartoons as I had breakfast and did a few things online. A Pink Christmas is based after the O'Henry short story The Cop and the Anthem. Poor Pink Panther spends Christmas Eve searching New York City in the early 1900s for anyone who will give him a home-cooked meal. He tries being a department store Santa, but he's chased out. He's thrown out of a restaurant when he can't pay for a meal. He can't sneak into jail, either. He finally gets food after stopping a robbery...but discovers how good it feels to share what you have when a puppy wants some, too.

Scooby Doo's first of three Christmas specials was "A Nutcracker Scoob," from the early 80s show that featured Daphne, Shaggy, and the two dogs. Fred joins in the fun here as the kids prepare to help an orphanage's Christmas pageant. If they can't find a precious jewel before the show, a nasty old miser will close down the orphanage! The kids try to find out if he's teamed up with the Ghost of Christmas Nevermore who keeps appearing to scare them away, or if the ghost has its own agenda.

"A Scary Night With a Snow Beast Fright" brings Velma back as the gang head to Alaska to help out a friendly professor. When they get there, the professor has vanished, thanks to a huge creature known as the Snow Beast by the natives. Though the professor's assistant tries to warn them away, they're determined to get to the bottom of this cold mystery...especially after they discover oil on the ice near the native village.

We stay up in the Arctic with "Alaskan King Coward." Shaggy, Scooby, and Scrappy are prospecting for gold in Alaska. When Shaggy accidentally unleashes a huge dinosaur-like creature, he and Scooby do everything they can to escape it. Scrappy, however, think it's after their claim and wants to pummel it into the snow!

I finally got to the laundromat around quarter after 12. Good thing I got there when I did! Shortly after I arrived, it got much busier. I wasn't around for long, anyway. I had another small load. The soap operas were beginning as I jammed everything out of the dryer and into my laundry bag and rushed out.

When I got home, I threw on I Want a Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown while putting away my clothes, eating leftovers for lunch, and getting ready for work. Lucy and Linus' little brother Re-Run badly wants a dog, but his mother keeps saying no. He constantly asks Snoopy if he wants to come outside and play with him. He even tries to buy Snoopy at one point. When Snoopy's brother Spike visits, Re-Run insists that Spike stay with them. Spike and Snoopy finally show Re-Run how taking care of a pet is a big responsibility...one he may not be ready for yet.

Work was pretty much the same it has been for the past week - busy during rush hour, on-and-off steady otherwise. The nice day contributed to the quiet. It was sunny and beautiful by the time I hit work at 2:30. There were some rather cranky and obnoxious customers early on. Otherwise, there were no major problems. It was so quiet by 7:30, I was able to get out quickly without a relief.

Oh, and Lauren sent me one more box in the mail. This one was of books she's been picking up at book sales in the Pittsfield area for me. Most of them are American Girl (including the last four books I needed for Molly's series), but there was also a book of Cape May ghost stories and a Beanie Baby Handbook that included, for some reason, an extensive recipe section.

No comments: