Friday, April 17, 2015

The Eyes Have It

I slept in a little this morning, but not as long as I did yesterday. I had the time for some Care Bears before I headed out. A little sneeze turns into a big headache for the Bears when they break out in the "Feeling Flu." Their sneezing causes them to switch feelings and powers! Now, everyone has to deal with things they're not used to feeling while helping Tenderheart search for the herb that'll cure them.

I headed out around 11:30. I really had no huge plans for the morning, so I thought I'd just go for a random bike ride. I ended up in Haddon Heights. I needed to deposit some of the money I got from Dad yesterday at PNC Bank. I spent an hour looking at books at the Haddon Heights Library. They're larger than Haddon Township, and a bit better organized, too. They have lots of books on movies and musicals, some of which I haven't seen since I was a teenager and would scour the Cape May City Library for information on old movies. Too bad Haddon Heights Library isn't a part of the Camden County Library System. (Nor are the libraries in Haddonfield, Collingswood, Oaklyn, or Audubon.) I don't want to pay a ton of money just to take out a few books.

After stopping at John's Friendly Market for a Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper and a raspberry-vanilla fig bar, I made my way down to King's Highway, then across Audubon to the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. I explored Avenue and Shoe Depot for a while, but I really don't have that much money. When I got bored with browsing, I just decided to just do my grocery shopping early. I really didn't need much, anyway. I was mainly buying produce - blood oranges, grapefruit, strawberries. I'm almost out of honey - Acme's organic brand is the cheapest. The Ready-Pac Spinach Dijon Salad was on sale for $2.50. I bought that for a quick lunch.

I'm not happy with next week's schedule at all. While three days off will be nice for writing and spring cleaning, I only have 20 hours. Not to mention, a very early 8 AM shift next Saturday means I'll miss both the Haddon Heights and Audubon Town-Wide Yard Sales.

I ate my salad at the picnic table across from Arby's, where Acme employees go where they want to smoke or get some air. Thankfully, no one was there when I was. I enjoyed the quiet as I watched the mid-afternoon traffic speed by on the Black Horse Pike.

My eye exam surprisingly didn't take very long. I just paid my rent and don't really have that much money. I was thinking of replacing my glasses, but I doubt I could afford it. Maybe this summer. At any rate, it took less than ten minutes to get to the first round of tests, and five minutes to get to the second one. I was hoping they had my insurance, but nope. I ended up paying 90 dollars.

Went straight home after that. I went online and worked on my Precipice story for a while. Around 5:30, I decided I needed a stretch. I first finished out an episode of Remember WENN I started earlier in the afternoon.

The second WENN episode I ever saw was "Who's Minding the Asylum?" from the first season. Victor and the WENN actors are off to Harrisburg for a radio convention, leaving Betty, organist Eugenia, sound effects master Mr. Foley, C.J the technician, go-fer Mr. Eldridge, and Gertie the switchboard operator in charge. Unfortunately, an accident in the studio leaves the glass records with their programming shattered on the floor...and hours of programming to fill. On top of that, Mr. Medwick (Bob Dorian, AMC's program host at the time), a particularly fussy sponsor, has come to see the launch of a new show...one of the broken ones. Betty first devises an amateur talent show to explain the lack of actors, then finds a way for the show to go on, via the one remaining disc.

I moved on to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan after that. I only got half-way through before hitting the shower. I'll discuss it in full tomorrow.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Emma, did you take down the name of those books? You should be able to get them through an InterLibrary Loan. Usually you won't be able to keep them as long, but you would be able to read them.

Emma said...

No, I didn't. I didn't even think of that. The local towns are so weird about sharing amenities, I didn't think their InterLibrary Loan would work with the Camden County Library System's. :P