Thursday, January 14, 2016

Raiders of the Tasty Banana Cake

I was up late last night again. I didn't get up until past 10. I go through these periods when I stay up really, really late, but it doesn't always happen. I did work at noon, which meant I read my Dashiell Hammett (I'm now on The Dane Curse), wrote in my journal, and had enough time to eat before rushing off to work.

Work could have been worse. The weather is still really cold and we're now between holidays. It won't pick up until later in the weekend, when the weather gets worse and we get closer to Martin Luther King Jr. Day. It did get busy during rush hour, but I spent most of the first half of my shift doing returns. My relief was right on time, and there were no major problems.

When I got home, I went into a little bit of writing. Mr. Eldridge is still forming something to distract Pruitt and help Scott...but I'm having a hard time deciding on what! It's part of why I haven't been able to continue with this story. I also went over Once Upon a Time In the Land of WENN. I do plan on continuing with that one - I really was into it - but I absolutely want to finish Babes In WENNLand, and then do a short original fairy tale and the Star Wars 80's High School story.

I started Raiders of the Lost Ark during breakfast. I finished it while eating chicken and winter vegetable salad for dinner and making a deliciously moist Banana Cake (from Kit's Cooking Studio) for dessert. Watching the Star Wars movies a few weeks ago put me in the mood for more adventure and more Harrison Ford.

Professor Henry "Indiana" Jones (Ford) is an archaeologist and teacher who travels the globe, looking for amazing lost artifacts. His newest assignment is to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis and his rival LeBeau do. Joined by his old flame Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen) he travels first to Africa, then follows the Nazis to an island where they discover just how powerful the Ark is...and how dangerous it can be to mess around with history.

Yes, I'm also a big Indiana Jones fan. (What can I say? I grew up in the 80's, in a family who collectively loved action-adventure movies, raised by a mother who was and is a huge fantasy/adventure/sci-fi geek.) Though my favorite of them is Last Crusade, they all have their virtues. Marion's fun character helps balance out things a lot here (I wish the leading ladies in the other two 80's Indy films had been as hilarious as her), and there's some nice set pieces and gags, including the infamous opening with the rolling boulder.

You can't go wrong with any of the Indy films. They're all some of the best action-adventure movies ever made. I do recommend you see this one before you check out the much-later Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Otherwise, if you're as big of a fan of Ford and/or dashing adventure as me, pick your favorite and have fun.

No comments: