Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Almost a Winter Wonderland

To my surprise, it was merely wet when I finally got up this morning. No snow, no rain, no anything. Even so, after I finished Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, I honored the weather anyway with Frosty Returns. This odd 90's special isn't a follow-up to the original Rankin-Bass Frosty the Snowman. Frosty helps two kids whose town winter carnival may not go on after a nasty executive creates an aerosol quick-snow-removal spray.

I didn't get out to do the laundry until past 12:30. Thankfully, the weather must have scared people off. Other than one or two people, it was mostly quiet. I listened to the news and The Chew and read the Star Wars FAQ. I'm glad it was quiet. I had a ton of laundry to do today, including my new pants and work shirts.

It was just starting to snow when I rode home. As soon as I put everything away, I went right back out. Snow or no snow, I had errands to run. Besides, though it was coming down as big, wet flakes, it wasn't sticking to anything, not even the ground. I had lunch at a Friendly's. They were surprisingly busy for 2:30 in the afternoon on a day with some fairly bad weather. I had a simple grilled chicken sandwich and fries, along with the Vienna Mocha Chunk ice cream (my favorite Friendly's flavor) topped with hot fudge and whipped cream. 

The snow was slowing down, even as I headed to the Haddon Township Library for this week's session there. I decided to leave the DVDs to the kids and helped the librarians find titles on the racks they'd been searching for. After I found everything but a bunch of new release books, I shelved a big stack of items on hold. (And I didn't take anything out again. In fact, I returned books. I don't know when I'll have the time to watch anything.)

The snow was down to sprinkles when I headed over to the Westmont Plaza. I didn't really need much there anyway. I rushed in Thriftway to grab milk - they were dead. Picked up a new notebook to write story ideas in at Dollar Tree. Neither place was busy.

(Also, I noticed the Westmont Game Stop seems to have vanished. That's odd. They seemed to be doing fine at Christmas, when I bought a Bowser Amiibo figure for Lauren from there. They were always kind of quiet, though.)

It started raining and snowing again shortly after I got home. It's been raining and snowing on and off the rest of the night. I worked on my story for a while. The old woman who tells Kathleen that the evil Lady Sylvia is stealing stories tells her she won't get into the villa dressed as a peasant. She gives her a beautiful gown, and she passes herself off as a noblewoman to get past the stuffy butler at the door.

Finished the night with an episode of Wonder Woman from the third season. With my own re-entry into the Star Wars fandom, I thought "Spaced Out" was rather appropriate. Diana Prince finds herself among people who are even stranger than some of her Justice League buddies - late 70's sci-fi fans at a convention. She has to dodge the cosplayers and save jewels that can make lasers from a wily thief and the men who intend to buy the jewels from him. 

No comments: