Friday, February 05, 2016

The Caring Bowl

Actually, I slept in today more than I'd anticipated. I got up pretty late. Had enough time to listen to the soundtrack from The Muppet Movie while having breakfast. Though I love the music from this one, I think my favorite number is that jazzy instrumental version of "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along" that plays while Kermit and Piggy are reconciling in the car after she's reappeared on the road.

I was surprised to see about an inch of messy snow on the ground when I awoke this morning. No one said anything about snow last night. As it turned out, it was melting even as I made my way carefully downstairs. The roads were wet but clear.

Work was once again quiet when I arrived and quiet when I finished, but very busy in between. In addition to the Super Bowl and beginning of the month people, they're talking about more snow on Monday and Tuesday. It doesn't sound like much more than what we got last night, but that's still enough to make people go crazy. I panicked a lot, too. I hate it when the crowds get crazy.

I'm not overly happy with my schedule next week. On one hand, I have all morning and early afternoon work, and three days off in a row again. On the other hand, once again, I don't have enough hours. Considering we're now into the single busiest month of the year and coming up on Valentine's Day and President's Day Weekend, this doesn't seem too sensible.

Had quite a bit of shopping I needed to do. The big one was restocking apples and bananas (and I still forgot grapefruit). Got escarole, which I occasionally buy in the winter when there's nothing else fresh at a good price. There were a lot of good sales this weekend - I picked up mayo, cereal (Quaker Cinnamon Squares were still $1.99, one of the many sales carried over from last week), canned pineapple, peanut butter, ground turkey, two packs of crab cakes with manager's special coupons on them, two cans of canned chicken, the Campbell's Chunky Italian Wedding Soup, brown sugar, chocolate chips, and the Acme generic brand whole wheat rotini pasta.

Ran an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures that revolves around football as I put everything away. It's "The Acme Bowl" when Acme Looniversity plays rival school Perfecto Prep. Plucky's defection to Perfecto may set the team up for a fumble, but Buster has a few tricks up his uniform sleeve...

Switched to The Care Bears Movie while I ate a crab cake with leftover pasta and green beans and almonds for dinner. The title bears try to use their new "rescue beam" to first help a pair of orphans see that they're not alone, then come to aid of a magician's assistant who finds a book haunted by an evil spirit. While they are able to help the sister and brother duo Kim and Jason, the spirit in the book that Nicholas finds proves to be too strong to handle alone. Good thing they inadvertently run into a second crew of colorful critters based around other types of animals that help them out, and Kim and Jason are more than willing to do their share.

The first of three Care Bears films in the 1980's is a bit darker than you might expect. The spirit in the book is a genuinely frightening villain who actually comes rather close to winning in the end. Alas, other elements don't wear as well, including so-so songs and the animation with its many continuity mistakes. I kind of like the second one better, but this is far from horrible. Recommended for Care Bears fans and younger kids...but have a hand to hold when the spirit in the book is on.

No comments: