Saturday, February 20, 2016

Once Upon a Fractured Fantasy

Began a beautiful, sunny day with some Garfield and Friends. Spoofs of fantasy, fairy tales, and history happened quite often on this show. Orson takes Wade "Once Upon a Time Warp" to show him great moments in courage through history and inspire him to try to get the five bucks he borrowed from Roy back. "Jack II: The Rest of the Story" has the US Acres crew writing their own ending to a favorite fairy tale. "The Wrong Pizza" has Jon as a pizza maker in Italy whose creations are inedible. They get him in trouble with the town, until Garfield finds a better use for them. "The Garfield Opera" is what it says on the tin - a through-sung version of a typical episode, mostly revolving around Garfield's dislike of dieting and shenanigans with Nermal and Odie.

Work was pretty much the same deal as yesterday - mostly steady, nothing really crazy. Some obnoxious customers who wouldn't help bag. Otherwise, no real problems. It was so quiet in the morning, I did some returns early on. My relief was right on time.

Good thing, because I had a fair-sized grocery trip this week. I needed a major canned goods and non-perishables restock - canned chicken, cream of chicken soup, crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges, honey, peanut butter, cooking spray. Canned tuna and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter were on sale. Grabbed bananas, apples, grapefruit, broccoli, and frozen peas.

When I got home, I ran a quick episode of Rick Steve's Europe while I got organized. I thought a trip through Munich, Bavaria, and the foothills of the Alps would provide sufficient inspiration for my current fairy tale story. There's more fairy-tale castles in Germany than you can shake a lightsaber at, including the impressive abodes of the "mad" King Ludwig. Also, any country that eats soft pretzels the size of small planets as part of their daily diet gets a big OK from me.

My original plan was to spend the rest of the afternoon writing...but it was really too nice to be sitting inside all day. It had risen into the mid-50's. There couldn't be a nicer day in mid-February in Southern New Jersey. My neighbor Richard was out cleaning up his yard and our front yard; several other people were doing the same thing. Boys tossed a football to each other; kids were out on bikes. I strolled to Dunkin' Donuts for a Coollatta, which I haven't had in ages. I just went simple with a Light Vanilla Coollatta. I drank it, but it was kind of flat, and the aftertaste did have obvious Splenda in it.

I did get a little writing in when I got home. Cecil warns Luke that the evil Lord Vader may invade the ball and harm the royal family. Luke wants to go to his mentor Ben and get help. Han thinks he's crazy, but he does offer him Chewie to get him to Ben's hut. Han has something else to take care of...

Finished the night with Cincinnati Chili from Kit's Cooking Studio (chili with added sweet spices - including a little cocoa - and no beans) and Snow White and the Three Stooges. This cute musical version of the fairy tale has the Three Stooges renting a cottage from the seven dwarfs and finding the title princess (Carol Heiss) hiding from her evil witch of a stepmother there. They and their ward Quatro promise to protect her. Not for hard-core Stooge aficionados - this was made late in their career, and there isn't a lot of their signature slapstick. For everyone else, this a charming musical with some nice ice-based dance numbers.

No comments: