Sunday, September 11, 2016

Fly Like an Eagle

It was beautiful when I threw open my front door this morning, sunny and windy, warm and a little humid but not nearly as bad as the last few days. I celebrated with Plum Ginger Pancakes and the soundtrack to the movie version of Hairspray. There's a lot that I like on here, including the new songs "Ladies' Choice" and "Come So Far (Got So Far To Go)" and John Travolta and Christopher Walken's version of "You're Timeless to Me." (Who knew they'd make such a cute couple?)

Thankfully after all the trouble I had yesterday, work went much better today. I did get stuck in the register for about 20 minutes or so after I arrived. I got in at noon, and the first Eagles game of the season was at 1. Thankfully, once the game began, the crowd thinned out. Spent the rest of the afternoon gathering carts and baskets and cleaning up the still-messy freezer leaks.

And speaking of the Eagles game, that went very well. I got to see the end of the first quarter during break, and the last five minutes or so after work. The Eagles' just-promoted young quarterback Carson Wentz threw his first touchdown. They were already up 10-7 over the Cleveland Browns when I watched the game the first time. They eventually went on to win their opening game and their home opener 29-10.

When I got home, I worked on writing for a while. Han and Leia are left to their own devices while Charlie hits the newest steel coaster at Maz's and Luke and Wedge hit the wooden coaster. Leia gets Hank on the enchanting double-decker carousel. Hank tells her about his dealings with local gangster Jasper Hutt, and Leia explains why she's getting involved with helping Ben against Empire Industries.

 Had a quick chicken salad and Persian Cucumber Salad dinner while listening to more music. Did the soundtrack to Grease first. Though my favorite of the better-known hits are the classic ensemble numbers "Summer Nights" and "We Go Together," the most fascinating aspect of the CD I have is the lesser-known or background music. A lot of the background songs are from the original show - an instrumental "Alone at a Drive In Movie," "Freddy My Love," and "It's Raining on Prom Night." (The last-named is part of why this used to be my official "getting ready for dances" CD in high school and college.)

I also did one of the K-Tel pop collections. I love these. They're some of my favorite record finds. There's so many great lesser-known songs of the 70's and early 80's on them. They're like LP versions of the Have a Nice Day Rhino CD series from the 90's (and feature many of the same songs).

And a quiet acknowledgement here of the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. I was beginning my first day of my last semester in college the day the planes struck in New York, Washington DC, and Pennsylvania. I wrote more about my memories of that day on last year's 9/11 entry, Memories On a Busy Day.

No comments: