Friday, December 09, 2016

Christmas In the Malls

I got up late and spent most of a sort-of cloudy morning and early afternoon writing. Luke and Leia finally make it to the top of the beanstalk. They find that the clouds are not only solid enough to walk on, but they have a whole beautiful green land over them. Ben Kenobi appears, explaining that he is a magician and a knight who was once the adviser for Lord Anakin and Lady Padme, the rulers of this land...until Palpatine, the lord's other adviser, took over. The evil sorcerer killed Padme and the other knights and turned Anakin into a heartless giant. Heartbroken, Ben fled with Padme's twin children to the world below. The castle and its treasures are rightfully theirs

Finally broke around 12:30 for lunch. Ran A Garfield Christmas Special while I ate muffins and Cranberry Flummery. Garfield's not thrilled about being dragged to the family farm for an old-fashioned country holiday. He feels better when he meets Jon's grandma, a tough-minded old lady by his own heart. While the rest of Jon's family decorate the tree and read "Binky, the Clown Who Saved Christmas," Garfield finds a gift that'll make Grandma's holidays a little merrier.

Headed out around quarter after 1. They're still working on Cuthbert Road - they're on the corner of Cuthbert and the White Horse Pike now. I learned my lesson the last time I made a mall trip. I stopped quickly at WaWa for money, then headed down to Westmont. Parked my bike at Super Fitness, behind the Westmont Plaza, and picked up the bus down the hill. The bus was right on time, and there were no problems getting to Cherry Hill.

I don't have a lot of money and didn't want to do much dilly-dallying. I made brief stops in the mall proper to look for something for Lauren at Jay Street Video Games (didn't know what she'd like), grab a complimentary White Chocolate Peppermint Herbal Tea at Teavana (it was amazing), and admire the Dreamworks-themed Santa set-up before heading for the exit near Nordstrom's. I took the elevator up the pedestrian bridge, heading for Target.

Needless to say,  on a Friday two and a half weeks before Christmas, they were quite busy. I did look at ear warmers and ear muffs for myself, but I was mainly there for toys. Needless to say that close to rush hour, so were half the moms in Cherry Hill. I ended up getting Lego sets for Collyn and Khai, a ball-based puzzle for Skylar, and a smaller Cabbage Patch Kid dressed as a kitten for Lilah. The boys' things were all on sale.

I have different ideas of a Christmas treat. Target seems to be the only one who carries Betty Crocker's amazing Gingerbread Cookie Mix anymore. I've never seen their Butter Pecan cake mix anywhere but on their site, either. They also had these amazing-looking mini Jet Puffs Peppermint Marshmallows. Grabbed Target's generic natural creamy peanut butter while I was there.

Browsed a little bit in the mall after I left Target. Took brief looks at Game Stop and Build-a-Bear for Lauren. Treated myself to the same Candy Cane Oreo Blizzard from Dairy Queen I had during last year's Christmas shopping trip. It was even yummier this year, with lots of big cookie and mint candy pieces. Ended up at JC Penney to finally buy some knit red ear warmers. I left my ear muffs in Cape May County at Mom and Dad's house.

Caught the 5:30 home. They were only a tiny bit late, nothing really big. There was a little traffic around the Market Place lifestyle center. Otherwise, I had no problems getting home. Stopped at WaWa on the way back for skim milk and a Gobbler (turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce) hoagie.

Finished out the night with The Cat In the Hat Knows a Lot About Christmas, eating my hoagie, and making those gingerbread cookies. I rented this one from the Haddon Township Library yesterday (along with Hail, Caesar! again). The Cat teaches Nick and Sally about the migration patterns of elephants, dolphins, red crabs, and reindeer when baby reindeer Ralph gets lost and they have to take him home to Freeze-Your-Knees Snowland.

No comments: