Thursday, September 14, 2017

How Can I Change My Luck?

I was so glad to be able to sleep in a bit this morning. After all the trouble I've had all week, I needed it. Started out the day with breakfast and the original Broadway cast of Half a Sixpence. Thought it was time to revisit this, with a very popular revival having just closed in the West End. Based after a novel by H.G Wells, this "local boy makes good" story has young Kipps (Tommy Steele) inheriting a fortune. He wants to climb the social ladder and marry a wealthy beauty, but he ultimately ends up with the girl (Marti Webb) who loved him all along. He loses his fortune, but though he does eventually regain it, he's also learned that money can't buy happiness or a girl who really cares about you.

Until last year, most people considered this unrevivable, due to its reliance on pop and stage star Steele's charisma (and skills with a banjo). However, it is a cute show, with some nice songs. I'm especially partial to Ann's lovely ballad "Long Ago." (There's a film version with Steele I may try to dig up somewhere along the line as well.) The revival that just closed was apparently a heavily revised version, with far more songs (and songs that didn't always feature Kipps). It was such a big hit, the limited run was apparently continued three times. This was also the last British musical imported to Broadway before Andrew Lloyd Webber's shows started to turn up in the mid-late 70's.

Cleaned the kitchen after breakfast. I really shouldn't have put off cleaning for so long. The sink in particular was really, really grungy, and the counter wasn't much better. I've just been putting more focus on the writing lately.

It was humid out, but the sun (with occasional clouds) remained. It was originally supposed to shower for most of today. I took advantage of the decent weather to hit the Oaklyn Library and test the borrowed bike. I pumped both tires...and the bike ran just fine, other than the seat was still a little high. I was even able to get my basket over the brake wires.

First stop was the Oaklyn Library, partially to return those DVDs. They were surprisingly busy for a school day with fairly decent weather. There were several people on the computers and a family with two small children who had toys scattered all over the kids' area. I concentrated on DVDs rather than trying to step over their playthings.

Wanted to hit WaWa for lunch next. Of course, I got to the counter with my roast beef hoagie and Crystal Pepsi soda before I realized I'd left my wallet in my lunch bag. It was so embarrassing, and the guy at the counter sounded so upset, I just walked out without anything.

Ate the last slice of French Bread Pizza and an apple for lunch, then hurried back out again. I desperately needed to get a huge load of laundry done, including towels and sheets. At least my luck held here. The laundromat was empty when I arrived at 2:30, other than two men who were putting in a new vent window at the back of the driers. Saw maybe two people who weren't construction workers the whole hour I was there. I worked on story notes while half-listening to Right This Minute and General Hospital.

Headed home and finally got everything put away, then worked on writing for a few hours. Chip and Arturro head into Jasper's exclusive lounge area, where they encounter Leia. She was originally going to be a tough female bounty hunter, but I think I'll re-write her into posing as a showgirl, which makes more sense.

Made that pasta and turkey meatballs I mentioned yesterday for dinner, along with green beans and tomatoes. It was too hot to bake, though. I opted for bread and butter instead of garlic bread.

Listened to my double CD cast album for two antique musicals while I ate. Leave It to Jane from 1917 is the great-grandparent of every musical that involves academia. The tale of a "college widow" who convinces a student from their rival school to join their football team, this was one of the biggest early hits for songwriter Jerome Kern. Oh Kay! is a Gershwin hit from 1926, about rum runners who take over a Long Island mansion. The sister of one of them falls for the mansion's playboy owner. Hits from this one include "Someone to Watch Over Me," "Clap Yo' Hands," and "Do, Do, Do." Both of these come from hit off-Broadway revivals in the early sixties. As such, they lack the orchestration that Kay's studio version has...but it's also a chance to hear some rare material, including new lyrics added to Kay by PG Wodehouse, the show's original book author.

No comments: