Thursday, July 12, 2018

Busy Library Day

I awoke to a sunny, windy day. Spent the morning finally getting to this month's cleaning after breakfast. Scrubbed the kitchen, then made the bed and vacuumed the apartment. Did some dusting in the kitchen, but I'll likely save most of that for tomorrow or Saturday.

I also figured out how to program the air conditioner, which really isn't that hard. Just push the "Delay" button and set it to however many hours delay you want. As it turned out, I didn't really need it at all. When I opened the door to hang my rugs, there was a wonderfully cool wind. Ended up turning the air conditioner off and opening the windows instead.

Tried something for lunch around quarter after 12. I've really been enjoying the smoothies I've made lately. My lunch today was a Banana-Pineapple Smoothie, made with vanilla yogurt, honey, peanut butter, crushed pineapple, and a too-ripe banana that was in the fridge. Yum. Filling and just sweet enough. I appropriately had my good-for-you treat while listening to my Disney Mousercise record from the 80's.

Headed out for an errand and library run after I finished lunch. The Oaklyn Library was actually pretty busy for them. Along with people on the computers, there was a mom and child who were volunteering, wiping the chalk board on one wall of the kids' area. I settled for organizing DVDs and just took a cursory glance at the kids' books.

Hit Dollar Tree next. I'd been able to dig up enough quarters to buy a new shower curtain. I realized while cleaning the bathroom yesterday that the old one was disgusting. The mini-Target at the Westmont Plaza is very close to being done. The sign is up and everything. AC Moore is open; I'll check that one out the next time I actually have money.

The Haddon Township Library was also incredibly busy, especially in the kids' area. I heard something going on in the meeting room, a lot of adults talking. They must have all left their kids with the computers. I dodged them and shelved kids' DVDs. Despite the crowd, there wasn't really much else to do or shelve. I did take out the newly-arrived Sherlock Gnomes and the third season of Scooby Doo, Where are You?, plus the classic Robert Redford baseball drama The Natural, a book on feminism, and a book by JK Rowling on failure and creativity.

Took Newton Lake Park home to avoid the traffic on Cuthbert. Despite the still-nice day, there weren't that many people around. I mainly dodged Canadian geese. Their loss. The park, despite looking a bit withered thanks to our lack of rain, is still lovely. The light sparkled on the green lake, and the trees are at least still pretty green.

Went right on the computer as soon as I got home. Clarence finally says good-bye to Artie, who is joining Luke on his way to San Francisco. Artie knows Yoda well; he figures he might be able to help the kid. Everyone else who's leaving takes off in the Falcon...to the frustration of Vader...

Broke for dinner and a Lego Clone Wars session at quarter of 7. Completed "Ambush!" and "Gungan General." Got four more pieces on "The Hidden Enemy" and one more on "Liberty at Ryloth." I just can't figure out where that final piece on "Liberty" is. I'll look it up tonight.

Finished the night with a couple of Scooby Doo episodes. The gang says "Watch Out! The Willawaw!" when they see a strange wraith-like monster on their way to visit Velma's Uncle Dave. He's a ranger who normally lives in a cabin in the woods, but he's vanished. Shaggy and Scooby suspect that the two giant owl-men they've seen prowling around and the expensive items they found may have something to do with it.

Mystery Inc floats a bit into sci-fi territory for "A Creepy Tangle in the Bermuda Triangle." They're on a boat trip in the Caribbean when they see what looks like a UFO beaming up airplanes. Velma thinks there may be something more to this mystery than aliens and mother ships, especially when someone tries to scare them away from the island they end up marooned on.

They're visiting a friend in Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween night, only to discover that she and the town are being hounded by the ghost of a witch who looks just like her in "To Switch a Witch." The townspeople are convinced that the witch has returned for her revenge...and almost string up Shaggy and Scooby, whose trick-or-treat costumes look a lot like the real thing. (Skipped "A Scary Night With a Snow Beat Fright," which I have elsewhere.)

"The Tar Monster" is driving all the workers away from an archaeological dig in Turkey. Everyone says it's cursed, but Velma and Fred think there's another reason for the creature to want the workers away from the inner sanctum of the city they're unearthing.

"A Highland Fling With a Monstrous Thing" has a few things in common with "To Switch a Witch." Once again, the group is called upon to help a friend save her home from a ghost. This time, the friend has been renting her castle to tourists, but another ancestor's ghost can use bagpipes to call the Loch Ness Monster to drive them away. The gang look for a more realistic reason for the ghost to not want tourists snooping around.

Dark clouds had begun to build as early as my ride through the Park. By the time I was writing, we were in the midst of a soft shower. The rain cleared out the heat. It was cool after it left, enough that I've left the air conditioner off for the remainder of the night.

No comments: