Thursday, July 05, 2018

The Irish and the Texans

I overslept this morning and had just enough time to take down the patriotic decorations after breakfast. Listened to Starflight while I worked. I had this K-Tel LP from 1979 on for "Makin' It," one of the songs from Meatballs. Figured that was appropriate for the lead-in to the post-holiday weekend.

Work was a bit less of a problem than it was earlier in the week. It's still hot and humid, but not to the degree that it was. Besides, I only did carts for an hour, and the head bagger helped out. I spent the rest of the day doing returns, bagging, cleaning up a spill, and shelving candy. Bought a much-needed Gatorade on the way home.

After cooling off in front of the fan in my bedroom with The Gates of Sleep, I did some writing. Han identifies Roberto Fettara as one of the top bounty hunters and assassins in the US. He suspects his former boss and lover Yasmin Hutt probably hired him to make sure he pays that debt to her...

Rose called around quarter after 6. (Actually, she called earlier when I was at work. I called her back.) She wants to talk to Miss Willa about the trouble with the air conditioner. I wish she wouldn't. It's not that I don't think she knows what she's doing. I think she's a great lawyer. I just don't want to upset anyone. She also suggested buying a new air conditioner that turns off when the room is the appropriate temperature, saving money and electricity. (I'll still likely get that second fan, though.)

That killed my mood for writing. Had leftovers while playing Lego Clone Wars instead. Didn't do that well tonight. The "bounty hunter missions" are short mini-games that let you search for a character in a given level. Out of ten missions I tried, I only completed two. I did manage to get another piece on "The Zillo Beast," though.

Finished the night with two Broadway cast albums, a rare flop from the early 60's and a major hit from the late 70's. The flop was Donnybrook!, a musical version of The Quiet Man that barely lasted two months in the late spring and early summer of 1961. I kind of wish they'd tried for more of an Irish flavor and less of a Broadway one. The only song that sounds remotely Irish is the opening ensemble number "Sez I." While there were some decent ballads (including "Ellen Roe" and "He Makes Me Feel I'm Lovely"), the stand-out was a really cute number for the second leads, "I Wouldn't Bet One Penny."

The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas is about as far as you can get from Donnybrook!, in setting and tone. The Chicken Ranch is the title bordello, and it's one of the most popular in the Lone Star State. Many a Texas fella considers having his first time at the Chicken Ranch to be a rite of passage. Not everyone looks on the Chicken Ranch and it's occupants so kindly, though. A TV evangelist is shocked at the idea of there being a whorehouse in Texas and becomes determined to shut it down. The current owner Miss Mona tries to fight this menace, with the occasional help and hindrance of her ex-lover the town sheriff and his waitress girlfriend.

There's more emphasis on Miss Mona's girls and other incidental characters than there is in the film. Several of the girls and the waitress Doatsy Mae get songs that expand their characters...but they're really incidental to the plot about the ranch shutting down. It was interesting to hear what was cut from the film, including "Good Old Girl," the Sheriff's take on his and Mona's relationship, and Mona's two numbers with her girls, "Girl, You're a Woman" and "No Lies."

No comments: