Thursday, May 07, 2020

Spring Romance Matches

Kicked off an absolutely gorgeous morning with breakfast and two episodes of Good Eats: The Return. Most people probably wouldn't think of Chicken Parmesan as an American classic, but it was actually developed by Italian-Americans in New York's Little Italy tenements. Most Chicken Parmesan is usually over-breaded hockey pucks covered in curdled cheese, but Alton reveals how it can be made well, with home-made sauce and potato-chip "breading." "Date Tripper" reveals how to use those sticky-sweet fruits from California in English toffee puddings and three variations on bacon-wrapped date appetizers.

Headed out to the laundromat as soon as the show ended. I'm glad I did. The weather was amazing. The sun was out, the sky was a searing blue, and while not as warm as earlier in the week, it was far from freezing, probably in the upper 60's. I had a very pleasant ride, passing many families and kids on bikes, people out for jogs or strolls, and parents pushing their children in strollers.

The laundromat was a bit busy when I arrived; ended up going across the street to WaWa again to avoid the crowds. Grabbed a roast beef and provolone hoagie, a bottle of WaWa cappuccino for now, a bottle of sparkling water for later, a bag of Good Natured chips, and a string cheese stick for a snack. By the time I got back, most everyone was gone, and I was able to work on story notes largely in peace.

Since I washed towels from the bathroom and kitchen, I packed them when I got home. Loaded the towels into a plastic bag. I'll save the luggage for clothes right before I move. Everything else got put away or in the case of one set of my work clothes, set out for tomorrow.

As soon as I finished that, I went online for the next Match Game marathon. As I mentioned on Valentine's Day, the show is more fun when a married couple plays on the same panel. Dick Gautier and his then-wife Barbara Stuart were the first to appear together in 1973. Later that year brought in happily married dancers Elaine Joyce and Bobby Van and perpetually squabbling Jack Klugman and Brett Somers. By 1978, Jack and Brett had divorced (or separated, or something - no one seems sure what), which didn't stop the other panelists from holding a mock "wedding" for them. Party-loving Dick and Dolly Martin had a ball appearing together on several weeks in 1979 and 1980, including the memorable episode where a contestant got so excited, she practically attacked Gene. He dashed behind the set and read her Head-to-Head question there.

By far the most popular couple to have appeared on the show were Password host Allen Ludden and his wife Betty White. Their genuine affection for one another showed in a classic week from 1975 that began with jokes about Betty's fondness for animals and ended with everyone trying to get a contestant to belly dance and Allen "defending" his wife's honor after Gene makes an off-the-cuff comment about "having Betty." Betty was in the audience in an earlier week from '75 that saw her husband solo. One of his answers was so bad, Gene handed it to her to tear up...and then Fannie gave her answers to her, too!

Here's the entire marathon, so you can play along with some of Hollywood's most famous pairs! Tomorrow's marathon switches gears to showcase the host of Tattletales and Super Password Bert Convy.

Famous Celebrity Couples on Match Game Marathon 1973 - 1980

Went through some of the baskets holding first aid and drug items while the show was on. I didn't realize I had six bottles of hand lotion laying around and at least 15 small packs of tissues! The bottles are the many that Amanda's given me over the years; the tissues are leftover from the packs that came in Lauren's Christmas Kleenex boxes. I tossed two older bottles of lotion, put out one to replace them, and put the others aside.

Finished the night with the early talkie Just Imagine on YouTube. I go into more detail on the first science fiction musical at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Cult Flops - Just Imagine

No comments: