Listened to the soundtrack from the live-action version of Moana that's currently in theaters as I rounded up clothes to be donated. Other than a different Moana, most of this is pretty identical to the original animated film. They even have Dwayne Johnson singing "You're Welcome." There is one genuinely good new song, "Along the Way," and some of the chorus songs are expanded from the animated version. Otherwise, if you have the soundtrack from the animated version, you're probably fine just looking for "Along the Way" separately.
I headed out to run errands after the episode ended. My first stop was the book kiosk down the block to drop off something I just finished. Found an interesting Halloween cozy mystery, 15 Minutes of Flame by Christin Breecher. I was originally going to buy a birthday card for a friend and hydration mix at Dollar General after I dropped off the bag of clothes in the back, but the line was so long after someone threw a fit over not being able to use a coupon, I left with nothing. I got a better card, a gift card, and hair clips and used the bathroom at CVS.
It was a gorgeous day in the neighborhood. Though it was slightly warmer and more humid than yesterday, it still wasn't anything like last week! It was sunny, breezy, and perfectly clear. The haze had vanished with the storms on Saturday night. Couldn't have been more perfect for a long walk down the White Horse Pike. I had lunch at Dunkin' Donuts to finish up the gift card I got from one of the kids. Had a bacon and egg sandwich on a multi-grain bagel, very yummy mini hash-browns, a cream donut, and a "SunCloud Lemonade." Basically, this was lemonade with marshmallow topping, and it was sweet but not bad.
Made a very short stop at Family Dollar after I finished lunch. I was hoping to find that hydration drink mix. Nope, they were out. I once again walked out with nothing and just went home.
After I got home and took the laundry downstairs, I spent the next few hours looking up housing counselors online. I'm going to need help to figure out what I can afford, what condos are right for me, and how I can get them. I narrowed it down to two companies, Clarifi and NJ Citizen Action. I'll decide which one to use and contact them on Wednesday after work.
Listened to the Stage Door Canteen 4-disc record set as I worked and put the laundry in the dryer. I have no idea why the first three albums in this set were made by Heartland Records and the fourth was an RCA Special Products release. They're all the same idea, though - hit songs from the World War II years. Some of them, like the Andrews Sisters' "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" and "Rum and Coca Cola," "It's Been a Long, Long Time," "I've Got Spurs that Jingle Jangle Jingle," and Frank Sinatra's version of "Saturday Night" remain iconic today. Others are definitely of their era, like "Mairzy Doats," "Pistol Packin' Mama," "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition," "Chickety Chick," and "I Left My Heart at the Stage Door Canteen."
Match Game '75 was starting as the last record in the set was ending and I brought the laundry upstairs. Most of tonight featured the hilarious week with Dick Gautier in his blonde wig for the Mel Brooks Robin Hood spoof When Things Were Rotten, ingenue Melinda O. Fee, and Betty White. Melinda got a standing ovation from the crowd when she finally gave a right answer! The ingenue in the next week was The Belle of Amherst herself, Broadway star Julie Harris. Harris was a close friend of Charles Nelson Reilly, and she was too sensible to deal with Gene Rayburn's amorous "new kid on the block" shenanigans or William Shatner panting over her.
Finished the night celebrating the 60th anniversary of Chuck Barris' first hit show, The Newlywed Game. Host Bob Eubanks asks four just-married couples questions to see how well they knew each other. It got a head start on the competition when CBS preempted Password to show a politician's news conference, but it ran as planned. The spicy innuendo between the couples and the questions about "makin' whoopee" made the show a hit right out of the gate. It was such a success, it even had a nighttime series that ran from 1967 through 1971.
By the early 70's, daytime standards had begun to loosen considerably. Suddenly, "makin' whoopee" wasn't quite the big deal it had been a few years before. Not to mention, it had stiff competition from the NBC soap Days of Our Lives. ABC ended the daytime version in 1974. The show had more luck in syndication, where it ran from 1977 until Chuck Barris overstepped his bounds with the controversial 3's a Crowd and all of his shows were ended in 1980.
The Newlywed Game returned as a series of specials on ABC in 1984, hosted by Jim Lange. To date, this is the last time the show has run on the regular networks. It returned to syndication in 1985 as The New Newlywed Game. Eubanks hosted until 1988, when he was replaced by Paul Rodriguez. Saturday Night Live comedian Garry Kroeger hosted a heavily revamped version of the show once again on syndication in 1996 that had the couples answering questions via videos. When the new format proved to be a bust, Eubanks returned with a more professional set and the original format until 1999.
Carnie Wilson hosted the first season of the Game Show Network revival in 2009. Sherri Shepherd took over in August 2010, and would continue to host until the show ended in 2013. The Game Show Network version was based heavily on the original, with more of a modern neon set and the three couples from the syndicated show.
Make a little whoopee of your own watching some of the funniest newly married couples to ever grace a game show in these wacky, romantic episodes!
No comments:
Post a Comment