Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Hot In the Summer

Got a quick start today with breakfast and Little Bear. He and his friends play "Follow the Leader" to get to Hop-Frog Pond, with each of them coming up with a different place they pass through. He becomes "Little Scarecrow Bear" with No Feet's help to scare the crows away, until he decides crows need to eat, too. Mother Bear is taking care of a baby raccoon. "Little Bear and the Baby" play with each other, and Little Bear reads stories...until they both end up taking naps.

Hurried out the door after Little Bear ended. I didn't hurry fast enough. I was one minute late, and had to help the dairy manager mop up a leaky orange juice cooler the moment I arrived. Fortunately, that was by far the worst thing that happened today. Not only were we dead again, but I had an older man helping me out with the sweeping and the carts later in the day. He didn't push many carts, and he only checked to see if the store needed to be swept, but he was still there. Neither of us really wanted to be inside on a decent day anyway. It was sunny, hot, and humid, but probably in the upper 80's, nothing like it has been of late. I did end up cleaning another leaky spot, this time by the bowls of sliced and cubed fruit, before I left.

Soon as I got home, I changed, made lunch, checked a few things on my phone, and watched Paw Patrol. In "Rescue Knights: Quest for the Dragon's Tooth," we return to Barkingburg as Marshall guards a very special Dragon's Tooth that will allow anyone who wears it to control a dragon. Ex-knight dog Claw wants to control a dragon and show what a wonderful knight he is, so he steals it. While Ryder and the others fortify Barkingburg castle from dragon attack, Marshall takes it on himself to retrieve the Dragon's Tooth and stop Claw.

After the show ended, I signed up at Clarifi - Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Philadelphia and Delaware Valley. They also serve South Jersey - they have an office in Cherry Hill - and they're probably the closest to my needs. If I don't hear from them by the end of the week, I'll call them.

After I signed up at their website, I went down for a nap. I had early work today, and I was still tired. I passed out around 3:30, got up at quarter of 6, and felt a little better.

Made a delicious dinner of cheesy grits with plums after I rolled out of bed. Watched Match Game '75 while I ate. This week was unique in several respects. For one thing, it was the only one during the entire 1973 - 1982 run to be announced by someone besides Johnny Olsen. Bern Bennett announced for Johnny while he was on vacation. It was also the only week to feature bass-voiced comedian Joe Silver and warm Good Times matriarch Esther Rolle. 

Finished the night, or tried to, with more Mystery Science Theater 3000. Munchie is one of the last relics from the "small ugly-cute creature either frightens kids or helps them out" genre of 80's and 90's family movies that began with E.T. In this 1992 comedy, Munchie (voice of Dom DeLouise) is supposed to be this hilarious monster-like creature who helps Gage (Jamie McEnnan) combat bullies, impress the girl he likes (Jennifer Love Hewitt), and show his mother (Loni Anderson) that the guy she's dating (Andrew Stevens) is a creep. Trouble is, Munchie is not only more annoying and obnoxious than lovable - even Gage calls him out on his antics wrecking havoc - but his design is flat-out hideous, and even terrifying. The evil Gremlins were cuter and less-scary than Munchie. Arte Johnson has some mild fun as Gage's mentor, but he's defeated by his material and lack of screen time. Honestly, don't come within five miles of here unless you're a true lover of bad 80's and 90's cheese and can really handle heavy camp. 

No comments: