Monday, February 11, 2008

Frozen

What an annoying day. I woke up late and didn't get much done, I had to get a ride to and from work due to the 20-degree temperatures and lingering high winds, and work was a pain in the rear. We had long lines for most of the day, and we weren't even short-handed. We just didn't have enough help assigned. I got two of the WIC Checks wrong twice! The WIC Checks are are part of the state program used by mothers with babies and young toddlers to buy milk, cereal, juice, formula, and a few other essentials. The details of those "few other essentials," however, are constantly changing, far more than I or anyone can keep up with. I was told for over a year that mothers were only supposed to buy one 16-ounce block of cheese, not two 8-ounce blocks, and that they couldn't be the individually-wrapped processes stuff. A woman threw a fit when I pointed that out, then the manager let her take out the individually-wrapped ones anyway! Later, a woman bought two 8 ounce packages. I tried to tell her otherwise, but the (different) manager said she could have them. At least she was far more amiable about the whole thing.

(However, they haven't allowed Kellogg's Rice Krispies on the WIC Checks for years. Some generic brands, but not Kellogg's. I don't know why people keep insisting on bringing it to the counter.)

I called Mom and Dad this morning to wish the latter a Happy 52nd birthday. Dad was on his way out to work, but I did get to wish him well. I chatted a bit more with Mom. She wants me to seek out more financial aid, and says the only way I'll be able to pay for college is to be a college librarian because they make more money.

But I don't WANT to work for college libraries! I don't CARE about the money! I'll figure something out. I want to work with kids! I'll get a job in a college media center if possible because I have precious little experience doing anything else, but isn't there a way to do what I enjoy and pay to learn how to do it, too?

No comments: