Sunday, February 17, 2008

Won't Get Fooled Again

Arrgh, what a lousy day. Work was a pure pain. It was so busy, no one noticed my cute new hair do. I thought everything was going all right until a manager called me in their office as I went on break. It seems an older woman customer thought I was insulting her and her husband, including calling him a jerk-off. I don't remember a thing. The only customer I remembered in a turquoise sweater was a nice woman and her two kids; the little boy was hardly an older man.

I don't think I said anything, or at least nothing bad. I'd know if I did. At the time, though, I just wanted my break, so I nodded, told her I couldn't remember anything, and listened to the lecture about not insulting the customers.

Things did not improve after my break. Another older couple threw a fit when I asked them the usual question about items under the cart, and the man screamed at the top of his lungs, said I was accusing him of stealing, and walked out! Allow me to, once again, repeat this...

WHEN WE ASK YOU IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING UNDER THE CART, WE ARE NOT ACCUSING YOU OF STEALING. WE WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR ITEMS. THIS IS A ROUTINE QUESTION. I CAN'T HELP IT IF MOST CASHIERS FORGET TO ASK IT OR ARE AFRAID TO OFFEND CUSTOMERS. I AM JUST DOING MY JOB.

I felt lower than low when I got home. Things still didn't improve. I was hoping someone would be at Uncle Ken's house to talk to, but though the cars were there and the lights were on in the kitchen and the heated garage, the kitchen was deserted and the door to the garage was locked. I decided to just let them be.

I tried to make Mickey Mouse's Sugar Cookies, but they came out more like Mickey Mouse's Sugar Rocks. They just wouldn't spread. Maybe because I used light butter and wheat flour instead of melted shortening and white flour?

My day didn't get better until I got online. Lauren and I are finally finishing up this month's Monkees Role Play. Lauren's in the midst of looking for a new home with her parents. Their neighborhood has deteriorated, and they want a house that needs less care. Between that and my hours, this short story took a lot longer than planned, and we don't know when we're starting the next one.

I'm doing a lot of rearranging in my WebKinz house. I'm trying to get as many of the Winterfest, Christmas, and Valentine's Day items as possible in the Holiday Store, which is taking a while because they're scattered all over the house, wherever they'll fit. (Some of the Winterfest sweaters and hats may end up being given to future WebKinz as part of their wardrobes.) I'll probably start a Spring Holiday and Fall Holiday store when the FallFest and Easter items come out.

3 comments:

Tina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

It was probably one of the other cashiers. The person who complained probably thinks "they all look alike."

The shortening specifically probably was required to make the cookies work chemically like they were supposed to. You might try light Crisco instead of butter. (If I'm remembering all those articles in "Cooks Illustrated" correctly, butter makes things hard and crunchy while shortening doesn't.)

Emma said...

I didn't know there IS light Crisco! I'll have to look better at the Acme. Thanks, Linda!