Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"Let Us Gaily Take Our Leisure..."

Got a somewhat earlier start than I have recently today. It took me a while to get moving, though. I didn't get out the door to the Haddon Township Library until around 11. Had a nice ride through Newton River Park on the way, enjoying the breeze on an otherwise hotter day than it has been.

I got into the library around 11:30. It was rather quiet, especially compared to how it's been the last few times I went there. I mostly returned the few DVDs that were there; also shelved Easy Reader Books. I took out two books, a mystery by Rhys Bowden and a fantasy novel by Mercedes Lackey, and three DVDs - Sixteen Candles, Arsenic and Old Lace, and a collection of Angelina Ballerina cartoons.

Went across the street to Super Fresh next. I just ran out of whole wheat flour yesterday. Also picked up cake mix and cupcake papers. They were dead, and I was in and out.

Rode straight home after leaving Super Fresh, for once not having any trouble on Cuthbert Road. I had a turkey, tomato and spinach sandwich on Garden Vegetable Bread for lunch, then spent an hour or so working on things online.

I decided to go for a walk around quarter after 5. It was very hot at this point, much more so than it had been earlier, and clouds were obviously rolling in. I still had a really nice walk. There was a great breeze, and while it was hot and sunny, it wasn't humid. I strolled behind the school to the playground, then through the neighborhood to the left of the school, over the newly-laid blacktop on the train tracks, and to WaWa, where I treated myself to a Cherry-Vanilla Coke Zero from the fountain. After that, I headed down the White Horse Pike, turned on West Clinton, and went home via the path over the train tracks. There weren't too many people out with me other than packs of kids bored with homework, probably because of the heat.

After I got home, I started Tomatoes and Zucchini with Turkey Meatballs over whole-wheat pasta for dinner and watched The Pirates of Penzance. This is the movie version of the 1981 hit Broadway revival of the Gilbert and Sullivan favorite. Unlike The Pirate Movie, it retains it's theatrical origins and most of its original music, while adding a great cast. Kevin Kline won a Tony as the Pirate King. Angela Landsbury is Ruth, the nursemaid. Singers Rex Smith and Linda Rondstat are the young lovers.

It's a very different approach to this material than the spoofier, more 80s Pirate Movie, but equally fun, especially if you're a fan of Kline or Landsbury.

And ooh, I'd better get off. There's a very noisy thunderstorm going on even as I write this. It rained briefly, but I don't think it's even doing that now. It's just loud out there.

Never mind, here comes the rain...

No comments: