Monday, September 06, 2010

No Laboring On Labor Day

It was nice to not have to work on Labor Day for the first time in over ten years. If I wasn't working on the Acme, I was working on getting ready for classes! Well, no really major work today. I was off the Acme, and all the libraries are closed.

I slept in and decided, since it was so nice, I'd spend the late morning and early afternoon in Newton River Park. I went for a long walk from CVS to just past the green and yellow playground, and then back around to Greenwood Avenue in Oaklyn. Not surprisingly, given the gorgeous, 80-degree weather, everyone was out in the park. People walked their dogs. They had picnics with their children next to the playground. They fished. They jogged. They strolled in ones and twos and threes. They rode bikes.

Turned the other direction when I got half-way through. I stayed on the path for a while, but then I saw a steep dirt path branching upwards to the houses overlooking the hill. I thought...why not? I'd never tried them before. I felt like an explorer as I hiked up the hill...and ran into the back of several yards. I had to squeeze around construction equipment working on the back roads in Haddon Township and Oaklyn to make it back to Greenwood.

The neighborhoods were busy, too. I saw people mowing their lawns and weeding their gardens. They chatted on their porches, and practiced guitars on their patios. They stopped their cars to talk to friends. Kids walked in groups, relishing their last day of freedom before school starts again.

I had considered Capitol Pizza for lunch, but like most of the small businesses on the White Horse Pike, they were closed for the holiday. I ended up getting a Roast Beef and Swiss Ciabatta Melt, Dark Chocolate Reeses Cups, and a 16 oz Chocolate-Cherry Coke Zero from the fountain for lunch. I headed home to enjoy my treats and another East Side Kids movie, Smart Alecs

Headed for the laundromat after that for my only real "laboring" of the day. It took me a little longer than usual to do the laundry this week. I had piles of linen and the baby blanket I used for the doll story last Tuesday in addition to the usual things. It was busy again, but I was able to get a washer and a dryer with no problems this time. I read Wild Ride in peace while the other customers watched golf.

After I came home, I put the laundry away. When that was done, I made tilapia, steamed green beans, and pan-fried red potatoes with rosemary for dinner, listened to Bruce Springsteen, and watched Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I hope all of my US readers had an equally enjoyable - and restful - Labor Day!

No comments: