Friday, November 04, 2011

The Joys of Fall

It was late in the morning when I headed out for a walk around Oaklyn. I'm glad I did. The weather was absolutely gorgeous today. It was a bit chillier than yesterday, but breezy and sunny. The neighborhood looks gorgeous, too. The trees are cloaked in their fall radiance, brilliant shades of gold, rust, orange, lime green, and deep red. A few houses have already pulled out the Thanksgiving decorations, or have settled on pumpkins and mums, but most of those who decorated still have out their Halloween jack o' lanterns and witches and spooky hanging ghosts. (The majority of my neighbors usually take their Halloween displays down the first weekend after the holiday.)

Spent the rest of the afternoon getting things done around the apartment. I did my budget. (Spent far more on food last month, but less on other things. I also bought more clothes than usual.) I dusted. It was a quick dusting, just around most things. I'll do a more thorough job when I prepare for the holidays at the end of the month. I washed windows. I had a fast lunch of leftovers, then headed off to work.

Work was pretty much the same as last night, busy through most of the evening until right before it was time to leave. There were a few annoying beginning-of-the-month customers. I'm still having problems remembering some of the new computer set-ups. The way you do WIC Checks is entirely different on this computer system! I keep having to restart the order because I can't remember that the button you push is under "Transaction," not "Check," and you enter the date first.

Thankfully, I didn't need much after work. In fact, my groceries were limited to ground chicken, cooking spray, tea (I had a coupon and the new Twinings holiday teas were on a small sale - the Pumpkin Spice Chai sounds wonderful), and egg whites (I thought I'd try making meringue cookies again). I also treated myself to Scooby Doo on Zombie Island on DVD to celebrate the Acme employees finally getting their raises (almost two years after that threatened strike).

My schedule next week is actually pretty decent. Only one really late night (Monday), my first morning-early afternoon shift since the spring (Wednesday), and Tuesday and Friday off. I have slightly fewer hours, but considering what my hours were like last year in October and early November, this isn't that bad.

No comments: