Saturday, March 23, 2013

Busy Bunny Hop

I awoke to a beautiful, sunny, windy spring Saturday. Listened to this week's American Top 40 re-run as I read Sons of the Wolf by Barbara Michaels and wrote in my journal. We went deep into my childhood to cover late March 1987. I was 7 years old when these songs were on the charts, and I remember many of them well. Hits from the spring of that year included the lovely "Somewhere Out There" by James Ingram and Linda Rondstat (from the animated drama An American Tail), "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" by Genesis, "Mandolin Rain" by Bruce Hornsby and the Range, "Jacob's Ladder" by Huey Lewis and the News, "Big Time" by Peter Gabriel, "Livin' On a Prayer" by Bon Jovi, "When I Think of You" by Janet Jackson, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship (from the romantic fantasy-comedy Mannequin), and the novelty "Respect Yourself" performed by Bruce Willis at the height of his fame on Moonlighting. The song at the top of the charts that week was a fun one, the bouncy remake of "Lean On Me" by Club Nouveau.

I had quite a bit to do today, starting with this week's grocery trip. Thanks to that direct deposit, I no longer have to do my grocery shopping on the day I get my paycheck. I did have to go to the customer service desk, but it was to cash the voucher from the Coinstar machine. I turned in a full container of coins and got 20 dollars towards my very big grocery list. I desperately needed a fruit and vegetable restock, and my baking items - flour, eggs, butter - were getting low, too. Good thing there were sales all over the place. I hit the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter sale especially well. They were $2.49, and I had a dollar coupon for two.

When I got home, I noticed a crowd at Veteran's Park next-door to me. Parents and their kids were gathered around two squares of hay for this year's annual Oaklyn Easter Egg Hunt. I made a Lemon Mousse Pie as the kids searched for plastic eggs to win gift cards to Barnes & Noble.

I headed out to run more errands just as the crowds were leaving. My first stop was the Oaklyn Library. I hadn't been there in a while. It just got too crazy last week! While the DVDs weren't too bad, the kids' books are going to need more than 45 minutes worth of attention to really get them organized. Also made a quick stop for milk at WaWa on my way back.

When I got in, I had leftover chicken legs and honey-glazed carrots for lunch and watched more Three Stooges shorts. "Three Smart Saps" find themselves invading a party in a corrupt prison when the warden, the father of their fiancees, ends up in jail. They're the ones in prison in "In the Sweet Pie and Pie," wrongfully accused and on death row. When three young women marry them to get their inheritance and they're pardoned, they show up and demand their wives. The women try to embarrass them in society to get them to divorce...but the party goers are the ones with cream on their faces during an epic pastry battle! They get "Some More of Samoa" when they head to the island of Rhum Boogie in search of a mate for a lonely tree and find cannibals and a hungry alligator!

Work was very busy tonight, not helped by us being short-handed and short-registered. The first three registers were being painted by baggers, and we had to use the ones in the back. At the very least, the time went fast and people were generally in a decent mood. I was in and out.

When I got in, I decided that since Lauren wasn't supposed to be in until very late anyway (she went to a concert in Albany), I would go online later and make my usual shower a bath. I'm very glad I did. I was only in there an hour, but it was just long enough to really feel nice. I used the exfoliate cream I got years ago as a Christmas present from some friend or the other, too. I feel absolutely marvelous.

No comments: