Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'll Take the Highlands, and You Take the Berry Lands

I slept late this morning and didn't have time for much else besides washing windows and running a few DVDs. First on the list was finishing the Rick Steves episodes. The tales of the ongoing trials and tribulations of Northern Ireland were alternately fascinating and sobering, but my favorite trip was to the gorgeous Scottish Highlands. From battlefields with sad back stories to the beautifully rugged terrain to the colorful Highland Games (and Steves' attempt to throw a caber - the thing nearly flattened him!), Scotland really is a lovely country. No wonder Pixar set their first fantasy story there.

I started putting up spring decorations as I began the Strawberry Shortcake set. The theme here is a little vague, but I think it's supposed to be working together and helping neighbors. One episode brings back Katie and Sadie Bug from an earlier episode. They want to start a "Good Citizens' Club" to help others. When Plum Puddin's membership badge is lost in the mail, she thinks she isn't a good citizen and asks the bugs to let her in. Katie and Sadie keep thinking up tests that are basically ways to serve them...until Plum calls them on it and Strawberry reminds them that being a good citizen involves helping everyone, not just them. Lemon Meringue and Raspberry Torte are the best designers in Berry Bitty City...but they can't agree on anything, including how to decorate the Baby Berrykins' Play Center. When their arguing results in nothing getting done, they have to stall the Princess and learn how to work as a team.

I didn't realize how late it was when I started doing the decorations. I hurried out of the house before I could finish and was almost late for work! As it turned out, work was really no problem, steady all night. I did have to corral a manager to finish a long WIC check order so I could leave on time.

1 comment:

Linda said...

You would have seen the Rick Steves with the piper at the side of the road, I believe. There was a note in Steves' monthly newsletter a few months ago that the gentleman had died. :-(