Monday, March 25, 2013

Where's That Rainbow? 

Ugh. What a bad day. I awoke to pouring rain and yes, snow...all at the same time. I decided to finish Sons of the Wolf and work on my journal instead. After I finally got out of bed, I put on Words and Music to try to cheer myself up on such a gloomy day. MGM's follow-up to Clouds Roll By presents the "story" of composer Richard Rogers (Tom Drake) and his troubled partner Lorenz Hart (Mickey Rooney). This time, the history is even more whitewashed, thanks to the fact that Rogers was notoriously private and Hart was a closet homosexual (which was hardly something they could admit in a movie in 1948). Still, this is worth seeing for some fairly well-done numbers, including Lena Horne's dazzling "Where or When" and "The Lady Is a Tramp," Mel Torme's gentle "Blue Moon," June Allyson and the Blackburn Twins having fun with "Thou Swell," and Ann Sothern leading the chorus through the lesser-known delight "Where's That Rainbow?"

Judy Garland was just about to start "Johnny One-Note" when I got the phone call. One of the managers at the Acme wanted to know if I could come in at 2; there had been call-outs. No,  not at 2. It was almost quarter of 1, and I hadn't had lunch! I'd have to put off the laundry as it was. I'd be in by 3.

Thank heavens the rain was slowing down by the time I did make it out the door, and the snow was rapidly vanishing. I arrived at work damp but not soaked. Turns out at least two people had called out, and another went home with a cracked tooth. While we weren't really that busy, they needed the help.

By the time we got to 9:30, the rain and little remaining snow (and fear of the roads freezing) had driven away our customers. The manager on duty actually asked me if I wanted to go home early; I did leave about 10 minutes early. When I finally got out, it was showering lightly, but nothing like earlier, and was actually too warm for snow. I don't think it's even raining anymore now.

No comments: