Friday, March 01, 2013

First Signs of Spring

I slept in and didn't get to the Acme until nearly noon. The line at the front desk was so long, I did some shopping before picking up my paycheck...and it was a paycheck. My direct deposit hasn't gone through yet. Darn. That means I'm going to have to find my way to a PNC Bank branch tomorrow. Oaklyn's branch closed last Friday.

Had a smaller load of groceries to buy than last week. A lot of it was a fruit and vegetable restock. Small cuts of lamb were cheap, so I bought two. Needed buttermilk, brown sugar, yogurt, and cream of mushroom soup (the last to replace what I used on last night's Tuna Casserole). There was a dollar sale on packs of Green Giant frozen vegetables - got peas, Vegetable Medley, and Green Beans and Almonds. (I try not to buy the vegetables with sauce on them. Not only does it add calories, but it makes the veggies mushy when you cook them.) Found a few items on the clearance rack that I wanted, including Burt's Bees soap and Acme generic brand 30 spf suntan lotion (something has to keep me from getting fried on long walks).

When I got in, I ran the first Easter special of the year, Here Comes Peter Cottontail, while I put everything away and made Lamb with green beans and snap peas for lunch. The first Rankin-Bass springtime special is one of their odder ones. Peter Cottontail (Casey Kasem) is a boastful bunny who may tend to fib, but is also a pretty smart fellow. When nasty Irontail (Vincent Price) lets him sleep through Easter so he can become the new Chief Bunny, Peter goes back in time through most major holidays to try to give out enough eggs to beat Irontail at his own game.

Ok, so the story makes no sense whatsoever. (How would giving out eggs on another holiday help with Easter?) This is still really cute, even if most of it doesn't have that much to do with Easter. The best thing about this one is a great voice cast - in addition to Price and Kasem, Danny Kaye narrates and plays at least three roles.

Added the Bugs Bunny cartoon "Easter Yeggs" as I got ready for work. A tired Easter Bunny tricks Bugs into doing his job. Bugs thinks it'll be simple...but encounters with a bratty criminal's kid and Elmer on a gun-shooting rampage makes him think twice about how difficult the Easter Bunny's job is.

Work was busy all night. It's the beginning of the month, with all the usual annoying people. Other than that, it wasn't bad. A manager went in for me so I could get out; we were still busy when I left at 8.

No comments: