Saturday, June 14, 2014

A Very Long Walk

There was no sleeping in this morning! We had breakfast around 7:30-8AM, listening to today's American Top 40 re-run while we ate. Casey took us to June 1981, when ballads, New Wave, R&B, and country were all the rage. Lauren would have been almost a year old and I would have been two when these songs were new on the charts, and we both grew up with many of them. Hits that late spring included a medley of mostly Beatles songs by Stars On 45, "A Woman Needs Love" by Ray Parker Jr. and Raydio, the remake of "Sukiyaki" by A Taste of Honey, "All Those Years Ago" by George Harrison, and "Living Outside Myself" by Gino Vannelli.

One of my favorite songs of the early 80s, Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes," was on it's fifth week at #1. It would go on to be the biggest hit single of the year.

We headed out around quarter after 9. Today was Oaklyn's town-wide yard sale. Despite there being lots of sales out, we didn't do all that well. We weren't the only ones - it didn't seem to be quite as busy, or as difficult to stroll around in, as Collingswood's was last week. I found a good widescreen copy of one of my favorite Pixar movies The Incredibles early on at a sale that was mostly Barbies, but other than that, we didn't find anything good until we discovered that the old man on East Clinton Avenue whom I saw last Sunday put out two plastic drawers filled with CDs. Lauren mostly got country titles for her and gospel titles for her dad. I got:

Jerry Lee Lewis - Last Man Standing: The Duets

A double-CD collection of radio shows that included Richard Diamond, Private Detective and Fibber McGee and Molly

Two music collections, one of pop songs from movies of the 90s and early 2000s, the other of 50s and 60s ballads.

I also found two more CDs at a sale the next street over:

Gloria Estefan - Greatest Hits (cassette replacement)

Sting - Brand New Day

We did a little better at a fairly busy farm market. Asparagus are on their last week, but I did see the first cherries of the year. I bought cherries and more strawberries, snap peas, and zucchini.

By 12, we were worn out and hot and sore. We finally stopped at Capitol Pizza for lunch. It was quiet for noon. We were the only ones eating there, although some local teenagers did pass through to pick up their pies. Lauren had two pepperoni slices and a bottle of Pepsi. I had a cheese slice, a mushroom slice, and a bottle of Diet Pepsi. We listened to an interesting show on HGTV, Fixer Upper, as we ate. A husband-and-wife team were working on a 30s house for a woman in Texas whose husband had just died. I wish we could have seen them doing the exterior; the interior was coming around rather well.

I called Jessa when I got home. Turns out she and Joe were too busy to do anything this afternoon. We moved the flea market excursion we originally planned to Monday afternoon. Lauren and I decided to get some errands and chores done instead, starting with a run to the Acme. Good thing it was a gorgeous day for a walk. It was sunny and warm but not hot or humid, and very windy. The wind kept us from getting overheated.

Probably thanks to the nice day, the Acme wasn't terribly busy. I didn't need a huge order, anyway. I needed to restock buttermilk, whole wheat flour, and applesauce. They had bags and bags of Starburst Jelly Beans left over from Easter on the clearance shelves; Lauren said they ran out early in her neck of the woods. I bought Blue Raspberry cake mix to make into cookies later in the week. They were having a sale on Craisins. We got two bags of trail mix and a bag of blueberry-flavored Craisins.

I mainly wanted to get my schedule...and as it turns out, I don't really have one. I'm off Thursday and Friday as well as the rest of my vacation. I don't work again until 1PM next Saturday. On one hand, I really could have used the hours. On the other hand, it's supposed to be mega-hot and humid next week, and it might not hurt to spread out my errands, including library volunteering runs.

We were home about an hour before we once again went out, this time to do the laundry. It was much cloudier and cooler by quarter of 5, but otherwise still pretty nice. That could be why it wasn't busy at the laundromat, either. There was no one there at all when we arrived, and only a few people after we left. We didn't have a huge load, anyway. Lauren wanted to wash her clothes so she could have some for next week, and I figured I might as well get mine done.

After a long day walking, we were too tired to do much else. We played Kirby's Epic Yarn for an hour and a half, then watched more episodes of Happy Days. Happy Days always did well by their holiday episodes, and the second season had two of the series' best. In addition to the Halloween show, "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas" shows an old-fashioned Christmas at the Cunninghams'. Mr. C insists on just the family, until Richie figures out that there's something fishy about Fonzie insisting he's going out of town for a party. I made tuna salad for dinner, with leftover peas from last night; I wasn't up for major cooking after all the walking today.

Right now, we're watching Summer Rental. Tomorrow, after all the hiking around today, we're just going to be attending Dad and Jodie's Father's Day party and not doing much else.

No comments: