Sunday, August 10, 2014

Bath Time Sunday

Started out a hotter but still relatively dry day with the best darn Blueberry Pancakes I ever made and another "cult" flop Broadway musical. It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman came out in the early-mid 60s, during the height of the "camp" craze. Though some of the score is good (especially Linda Lavin's showstopping "You've Got Possibilities"), I wish they could have come up with better villains than a rather generic mad scientist, a group of very un-PC Chinese acrobats, and a jealous Walter Winchell imitation who doesn't like all the publicity Superman's getting. Superheroes just don't seem to work on Broadway; the later Spider Man Turn Off the Dark would run longer but have even more problems.

Work was surprisingly busy despite the fairly nice day. I have no idea why it was packed. Either there's a lot of college kids who need to get ready for school, or we just caught everyone coming or going from vacation. At any rate, there were no real problems, and my college-age relief was on time.

When I got home, I changed into regular clothes and went right back out. I needed milk and money from WaWa. Though it was still hot at 5 PM, probably in the mid-80s, there was a nice breeze out, and some fat clouds that kept it from being even hotter. I strolled past kids on their bikes and parents working on their gardens or chatting out front. WaWa wasn't too bad. I had no problem getting milk and a rare treat - a doughnut. The display said it was a banana custard, but it tasted more like lemon custard to me.

When I got home, I climbed into a much-needed bath. That felt soooo nice. I worked a lot last week, and I'll be working just as long this week. I read Murder On the Orient Express while listening to modern and classic interpretations of Gershwin music.

Switched to the soundtrack from the movie Pennies From Heaven as I made Tex-Mex Black Bean Dip for a quick and healthy dinner. In this odd musical from the early 80s, Steve Martin is a song plugger in the early Depression era who whole-heartedly embraces the upbeat music he sells, even as the world falls apart around him. Bernadette Peters is the pretty schoolteacher he pursues. I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid, but the collection of 30s-era hits is charming, including both familiar numbers like "Let's Put Out the Lights and Go to Sleep" and lesser-known songs such as "The Clouds Will Soon Roll By."

No comments: