Saturday, August 16, 2014

Just Plain Tired

Today was my 8 AM shift. I wish I was more used to working early. I was so darn tired. At the very least, once we got closer to the noon rush hour, it got busy and stayed that way. It passed pretty quickly, and there were no major problems.

When I got home, I read The Mystery of Roger Ackroyd for a while, then took another two-hour nap. These early days really wipe me out. I feel guilty, because my sister Rose and my best friend Lauren both work early all the time, every day. I feel like a slug.

I was still a little out of it when I woke up two hours later. I put on The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh to cheer myself up while I vacuumed the apartment (which needed it badly). This 1974 film is an anthology of the three original Pooh featurettes. The first story has Pooh trying to get honey in any way possible, including by disguising himself as a rain cloud and getting stuck in Rabbit's front door. The second introduces Tigger, whose talk about heffalumps and woozels frightens Pooh into an incredible psychedelic nightmare sequence. But there's a flood in the Hundred Acre Woods that may be even scarier! The film concludes by concentrating on Tigger. Rabbit, fed up with Tigger's bouncing and lack of consideration for his friends, tries to get him lost in the woods. That ruse doesn't work...but Tigger gets himself into trouble when he bounces into a tree and can't get out. In the end, everyone finally discovers how much fun bouncing - and childhood - can be.

Obviously, if you're a fan of the Disney Pooh, this is a no-brainer. It's a great starter Disney movie for little kids, too, as there's no violence and no real villains beyond the bizarre "Heffalumps and Woozles" musical number.

Switched to more Schoolhouse Rock as I had leftovers for dinner and tried to figure out how to scrape down the ice on my freezer so the door could actually close. Along with the math segment, "Grammar Rock" is the earliest Schoolhouse Rock series. Favorites here included the rollicking "Lolly Lolly Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here," the cute "Unpack Your Adjectives," and the sweet "Tale of Mr. Morton" from later in the 80s, on the parts of a sentence.

No comments: