Monday, September 22, 2014

Party Over, Out of Time

I don't have a lot of time to write this, so I'll get going. This wasn't a really exciting day, anyway. I started with a quick run around the neighborhood around 11:30. I did this week's volunteering session at the Oaklyn Library. They actually were somewhat busy for them, and I did have a bit to do. The kids' section was a mess, especially the DVDs, the board books, and the picture books. It was nearly an hour before I got out.

Went to Dunkin' Donuts next for a Mocha Coolatta for a treat, then headed to CVS. I was out of pads and needed to restock shampoo. CVS only stocks the curl formula for Pantene, so that's what I got. They had Hershey and Reese's merchandise on sale; I bought a cute Reese's themed journal for $1.74. The clouds started gathering as I headed home. It never rained, or even looked threatening, but it did get windier.

When I got in, I had leftover chicken breasts and sauteed Chinese beans for lunch while watching more East Side Kids. The local cops may think the Kids are Smart Alecks, but for once, they're more interested in baseball than mischief. Danny (Bobby Jordan) wants to buy the gang uniforms with the money he got for capturing a gangster. Mugs (Leo Gorcey) would rather it be used by the group for a car. Meanwhile, their old buddy Hank (Gabe Dell) also got in trouble with the cops. While the guys hide him, Broccoli breaks out and sends his men to beat Danny nearly to death. The Kids learn just how important their friend is when they go after a surgeon to give him an all-important operation.

As soon as the movie ended, I hurried back out again. I wanted to get what little laundry there was done before I went back to work. While most of the washers were being used when I arrived, it wasn't really that busy. I only saw two other people as Queen Latifa went on behind us. I did get a washer and a drier. Needless to say, even with two towels in the load, I still didn't have a lot to wash. I was in and out in less than an hour.

When I got home, I put everything away, then went downstairs to call Jessa. I hadn't heard from her since Friday. As it turned out, something came up, and we wouldn't be able to go out today. Could we do it tomorrow or Wednesday? All right. I'd see her then.

Instead, I spent the next hour fruitlessly trying to find out why not only has that Warner Archive package still not appeared, but I haven't had any mail at this address - for me or even junk mail for Miss Ellie - in at least a week. I couldn't get through to the Post Office's customer service at all, and their automated services just told me what had been on the website for the past week and a half - the package moved from UPS to the post office on the 12th and apparently hasn't been heard from since. I at least got a human being at UPS, but they just said call UPS Innovations, and I couldn't get through to them.

After a fruitless hour, I had a quick leftover dinner, made Chocolate Chip Fruit and Nut Bars, and watched the first half of Star Trek.

I'll have to give you the full review tomorrow. I don't have much time left on my laptop. I accidentally snapped part of the metal part of the power cord when I was trying to get it around my laptop a few weeks ago. It was giving me power on and off, whenever I managed to get it pushed enough to work. Tonight, I pushed it too hard when I tried to fix it...and I broke it clean off! I'm going to have to go to Best Buy or Staples tomorrow and get a new universal power adapter. I thought I had one. I found the tips, but I can't find the cord itself. I suspect I may have accidentally gotten rid of it when I cleared out the computer I had before Lauren gave me her old laptop in 2009.

No comments: