Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Of Damsels and Daring Rescues

It was still a little cloudy this morning when I got up, but not as bad as yesterday. There was still a tiny bit of snow on the ground, but it was melting even as I made my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pancakes for breakfast. Ran A Charlie Brown Valentine while I ate. The second Peanuts Valentine's Day special is a series of skits about the kids and their various failed crushes. Charlie Brown tries to ask the Little Red Haired Girl to a dance, but somehow ends up taking Marcie and Peppermint Patty instead. Lucy and Sally pester their crushes for valentines, to no avail. Snoopy writes love poetry for the gang.

I did end up walking to work. It was still cold and a bit cloudy when I got there. Once again, it wasn't bad. Maybe a little bit busier than yesterday, but some of that may have been a lack of help. There wasn't really much to do. I rounded up carts and baskets, bagged, and returned the very few items that were laying around.

My walk home was a bit more pleasant. By that time, the clouds had vanished, and the worst of the wind went with it. The sun felt nice on my face as I strolled down the Black Horse Pike. There wasn't even much traffic.

When I got in, I went right online to work on The Resistance Kids Go Camping. Leia tells the girls a bit about her adopted parents while they clean. To cheer herself up, she suggests they tell ghost stories and roast marshmallows after dinner.

Speaking of dinner, I had leftovers and made Fudgy Brownies (a different recipe than usual) while watching swashbucklers. The Scarlet Pimpernel is based after my favorite novel. Sir Percy Blakney (Anthony Andrews), a wealthy English nobleman, risks his life and the lives of his men rescuing innocent nobles from the guillotine in Revolutionary France. He falls for the charming actress Margurite St. Just (Jane Seymour), whom he marries. The marriage turns sour quickly when he learn that she may have been a spy for Chauvelain (Ian McKellen) and sent a friend of his to his death. Believing he can't trust her, he hides his identity behind a foppish mask. But there's treachery afoot in the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel, and even as Percy is preparing to rescue the little Dauphan, someone may be giving him away to his worst enemy.

Enjoyable, rousing version of my favorite novel. Andrews in particular is the definitive Percy Blakney.

Finished out the night with another tale of derring-do in merry old England. I went from the 1700's to medieval times for The Adventures of Robin Hood. This is the beloved Technicolor Errol Flynn version of another aristocrat who goes out of his way to aid the poor and innocent. Olivia DeHaviland is a spirited Maid Marion, Claude Rains is Prince John, and Basil Rathbone is an especially hissable Guy of Gisbourne.

I also added two more Pinterest pages. Three of my favorite Original Trilogy Star Wars characters, Han, Lando, and Chewie, got a page to themselves. I also did one for swashbucklers in general to generate ideas for my upcoming swashbuckler and 30's Star Wars fanfics.

Han, Lando, & Chewbacca - The Scoundrels
Swashbucklers! - Pirates, Musketeers, and Other Tales of Derring-Do

No comments: