Friday, September 03, 2021

Holiday Weekend In the Neighborhood

Began the morning with breakfast and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. I thought "A Storm In the Neighborhood" was more than appropriate, given we got hit with a nasty one the other day. Dan's family invites Katerina, Henrietta, O, and X to stay with them while bad weather rages outside. Mrs. Tiger shows the kids how to be prepared with bottles of water, a flashlight, and a first-aid kit. The kids learn about the many helpers in their community, from neighbors to police officers and fire people, who help Dan Sr. clear a tree from in front of the Clock Factory "After the Neighborhood Storm."

Switched to Hogan's Heroes as I cleaned up from the cornmeal mush and grapes I had. "The Big Dish" is a radar that allows German ground weapons to easily shoot down Allied fighters. Hogan tries to seduce the British scientist (Karen Steele) who created it, but she's the one who plays him like a bubbling Bunsen burner. While the guys blow up the dish, Hogan comes up with a plan to get her back.

Headed out shortly after the episode ended. Work was busy for most of the afternoon, not surprising on Labor Day Weekend. I had quite a few annoying customers, including several who gave me grief about bagging or the prices...but there was also a very sweet young woman who paid the small order of the lady behind her, because someone did it for her earlier. The lady was so pleased, and I thought it was wonderful.

Thankfully, the teen girl who came in for me is always on time, allowing me to quickly get my own shopping done. Had online coupons for ground turkey, cereal, cocoa, ice cream, and two free cups of yogurt. Found a small container of shrimp I could have for dinner. Restocked milk, oatmeal, and bananas.

Mixed feelings on my schedule next week. In good news, I'm only 10 to 4 on Labor Day...but I work very long and early for almost the entire rest of the week. Tuesday and next Saturday off, Tuesday for a dentist's appointment. 

Jodie rolled in the driveway at the same time I did. She must have been around earlier, as she mentioned I had a package waiting for me in my place. Oh goody, my newest eBay find arrived early! I finally found the first Walt Disney Treasures Silly Symphony set for a good price. I bought the second one when it came out, but I missed the first one, and it's usually pricey online. 

I'll watch the cartoons tomorrow. I absolutely wasn't missing tonight's Match Game '76. The first episode started off with Gene doing his best stripper's walk when asked to show off his nifty tie. The second was one of the funniest of the year. Bill Anderson brought a guitar and performed an impromptu country ballad for a smitten Debralee Scott, with Charles and Brett providing back-up dressed as cowpokes. 

Worked on writing after having shrimp and leftover zucchini and tomatoes for dinner. Brett's sons keep disrupting the Mock Turtle. David goes to school, and Adam's on his way to college. They certainly don't think the Turtle going to school is all that special. Ahh, but they never went to school under the sea, says the Turtle, nor learned the things he did...

Finished the night online with Mystery Science Theater 3000 at Shout! TV's website. Bride of the Monster may be one of the funniest shows of the Joel years. He and the robots have a blast poking fun at a delightfully cheesy Ed Wood horror film with Bela Lugosi having a blast as a mad scientist hoping to create a bride for his monster (Tor Johnson) from atomic energy. They may do even better quipping at "Hired!", about a car dealership owner trying to figure out why his salesmen aren't doing well. 

No comments: