Monday, September 27, 2021

Waiting for the World to Change

For once, I had a leisurely start this morning, enough to make Banana Honey Pancakes for breakfast. Watched Hogan's Heroes while I ate. Radio operator James Kinchloe learns "The Softer They Fall" when his boxing prowess is pit against Stalag guard Battling Bruno. When African-American prisoner Kinch looks like the better fighter, the Nazis cheat to beat him.

General Buckhalter's niece is getting married, and she wants "Gowns by Yvette." Hogan takes advantage of the happy occasion for loan his tailors Newkirk and LeBeau to make her the perfect plus-sized wedding dress. That dress will make an even better cover for an operative with important information who is being guarded in the same hotel.

Headed out after the second episode ended. I was only in the register for about two hours, but it was long enough for a customer to say she liked coming into my line because I was kind and considerate. Aww, that was sweet of her. 

Spent the rest of the day pushing carts. They had no morning bagger. No one called out. They didn't schedule a morning bagger because there's no one to schedule. The head bagger and I are the only baggers who can work on weekday mornings. The other baggers can only work evenings or on the weekend. Most younger workers who come in are directed to doing online shopping. 

On one hand, I did get to enjoy an absolutely gorgeous day. The sun was shining, and a cool wind kept it from feeling too warm. As I told a customer, it was probably too nice to be inside anyway. And customers were in good moods. I got another compliment from a lady who also said I was a good cashier.

Trouble was, all I had time for was pushing carts, sweeping the store, and checking the bathroom. The trash ended up full and overflowing; when another bagger came in later and tried doing it, the bag broke and went everywhere. It was so full, the mess ended up in three bags. 

Dashed out as soon as I could. I took down the name of Jodie's realtor. Maybe I could impress on her that I need someone to find me a place. Jodie must have told her she has a tenant. She could give me some ideas. 

I never got to calling her. Jodie came in as I sat down at my laptop. The realtor was bringing people around to look at the house from 4:30 to 6:30 tomorrow, and we couldn't be there. She said she'd take me out to dinner. That's nice of her, but it also means I won't get to the things I need to do. I need to call the realtor. I need to look up more apartments. I'd actually like to be able to work on my fanfic.

I did manage to get some writing in. The King and Queen recruit the White Rabbit to announce the case and Duchess Marcia as a transcriber. They find the Doormouse keeping their seats by sleeping on them. Jimmie the Dodo just thinks he's crazy and is missing the show.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Made a delicious dinner of turkey burgers with tomatoes, zucchini fries, and corn on the cob while watching Match Game '74. Jimmie Walker made his debut that week, throwing his dyn-o-mite answers to the crowd, along with goofy blonde Joyce Bulifant and sarcastic blonde Loretta Swit. They tried to figure out "Port __" in the Audience Match and got to admire Charles looking dapper in a rare suit and tie.

The blonde on Match Game PM was the contestant, a southern belle from Arkansas whose bubbly personality matched her bouncy curls. Alas, though she seemed to catch on later, a question on what the arch is made out of at the oldest McDonald's did her in. Bart Braverman ended up helping the winner with "The Other Side of ___" on the Audience Match. 

Switched to Hogan's Heroes while making Pumpkin Spice Cookies. It's "Standing Room Only" when the guys find themselves dealing with 15 escapees from another camp stuck in their tunnels. If that wasn't enough of a crisis, Klink got in trouble for using camp funds to romance a lovely lady and now has to teach the Kommandant who lost those men how to run an efficient camp. 

Poor Carter wishes he could be in "One Army at a Time" when he's captured by Germans in uniform while on his way to blow up a bridge. After he's quickly promoted, Hogan decides he's better off where he is so he can get the dynamite back.

No comments: