Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Day In the Sunshine

I got a later start than I would have wanted this morning. Barely had enough time for reading one chapter of Maple Sugar for Windy Foot, writing in my journal, changing, grabbing breakfast, and rushing out. And of course, it turns out I read my schedule wrong. I thought I was supposed to be in at 9:30, but I was really due at 9 AM.

Fortunately, that was the worst thing that happened all day. I spent the whole morning sweeping and pushing carts. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. It was far too gorgeous to be inside. The sun was shining. There was a nice, cool breeze that wasn't rough like the wind we had over the weekend. The sky was a searing baby blue, and it was warm, already in the lower 70's at noon. I suspect the only reason we were busy at all was because it's the first Tuesday of the month, and Tuesday is our Senior Discount Day.

We're also in the midst of remodeling again. Our cramped customer service desk is being greatly expanded, finally making use of the empty space with the kiosks on its left and the long room left when the bank, and then the health office, shut down. They're also going to move the self checkout lanes forward in order to expand the floral department, which we also need badly. They're already almost done with the new office space. It's a bit messy now, but I'm guessing it'll probably be finished by the end of this week-next week.

Changed into a regular shirt when I finished, then headed out to run a few errands in the shopping center behind the Acme. Had lunch at Tu Se Bella's, the best pizzeria in the area. Picked up a slice of mushroom, a slice of broccoli and shrimp, and a Diet Pepsi. It was just past 2 by that point, and other than a mother buying snacks for her kids, they weren't very busy.

Went a couple of doors down to Great Cuts for my hair cut next. There was only one woman ahead of me, and it took less than 10 minutes for them to finish. My hair has been annoyingly frizzy for months now. It gets really frizzy if it's too long. The sweet young woman trimmed it to just above my shoulders. I love it. It's layered and bouncy and looks terrific. 

Headed across the parking lot to Goodwill. I hadn't been in there since before Christmas. They were pretty busy, but I dodged customers long enough to make some great finds. 

The original Broadway cast album for Dear World, a vehicle for Angela Lansbury based on The Madwoman of Challot I've been trying to find for years. 

Johnny O'Toole and His Naughty Naughty Band - The Gay '90's

Two Wyndam Hill Winter Solstice CDs, II and IV

Two books, both on silent film greats. I took The Girls In the Picture by Melanie Benjamin, on silent movie star Mary Pickford and her relationship with screenwriter Frances Marion, out of the Haddon Township Library a while back and did enjoy it. I found a paperback copy for 99 cents. Read Silent Stars by Jeanine Basinger in college, but hadn't seen it since. 

A pair of khaki shorts. I thought they were 20, but they were 18, and tight-fitting 18, at that. I think I'll drop them in the clothes collection bin behind Dollar General.

The hair dresser told me she wanted to stop at Sonic and get a milkshake in honor of the day after work. I decided to do just that. By past 3 PM, they were busy at the drive-in, but not on the patio. I ordered a sweet, creamy mini banana milkshake made with fresh bananas. It was incredible, fresh and banana-y, with just the right amount of banana pieces.

After I got home, I changed into capris, put everything away, and did a few more chores. It's going to be in the 70's for most of the week - and even when it gets cooler this weekend and early next week, it'll still be in the upper 50's and 60's. Time to pull out the warm-weather clothes. I need jean shorts - I only have one pair that actually fits - and plain t-shirts. I have lots of print and flowered blouses, but not plain ones. I could probably use a good short-sleeved button-down shirt in case I actually manage to get an interview, too. 

Finally settled down to looking up jobs around 5 PM. I still want out of the Acme. It's driving me crazy. I can't handle it anymore. However, if I'm going to get a decent job, I need more schooling. I'm thinking I'll find a part-time data entry job or something similar at about the same pay as the Acme that'll give me time to do school work after I get home. 

Worked on writing next. Gene finally decides they're not going to get anything out of the Wild Rider Gang member. He leaves Gary with the guy and takes Richard and Bill across the street to The Peacock Saloon. Owner Fannie Flagg isn't happy about stashing the gold there, but with the bank being repaired, they have nowhere else they can keep it. 

Had dinner at 7 PM. Watched Match Game Syndicated while I ate. We pick up at the end of the next week, with Nipsey Russell's last episode. Charles was more nervous about answering "__ and Milk" for a pretty lady from Hawaii. 

Moved online for The Passion: New Orleans at Tubi. I go further into this concert retelling of the death and rebirth of Jesus at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Finished the night with the first Rankin-Bass Easter special, Here Comes Peter Cottontail. I covered this one at my Musical Dreams blog back in April 2019. Peter Cottontail is the first review on the page. 

No comments: