Friday, April 07, 2023

Good and Busy Friday

Began the morning with breakfast and The Easter Bunny Is Coming to Town. I went further into the second Rankin-Bass springtime special at my Musical Dreams Reviews blog in 2019. (It's the second review on the page.)


Worked on writing for a while after that. Brett Somers is already at the Peacock Saloon, waiting to ask Gene if he's recovered her stolen cattle yet. She won't accept his "we're working on it" for an answer, either. She needs her cattle. She and her sons are running the ranch alone since her no-good husband went back east, and she needs the money.

Headed out to work around 11:30, making a short stop at Rose and Craig's house to drop off Rose's birthday card. Kids were starting to pour out of the Oaklyn School for Spring Break as I made my way down Kendall. The afternoon was gray and cloudy, not threatening, just blah. The air was chillier than yesterday, probably in the upper 50's, more like it should be at this time of year.

Work wasn't bad when I got in. I managed to return items and sweep the store for an hour, hour and a half before it got too busy and they pulled me to take customers. Good Friday is always crazy. Not only do a lot of people get off of work early and come right to us for their Easter shopping, but we had a 1-day seafood sale for Lent. Plus, some people were just plain grouchy, and others didn't bring enough money with them for half of what they had. I was so happy when it finally slowed down enough by 7 for me to run out without a relief or a need for one.

Oh, and I got my schedule. In good news, I did get Easter and my birthday on Friday off. Trouble is, I also got two 8 1/2 hour days and three early days. Six people went on vacation this week, likely using up their vacation time like I am, and we're still missing a lot of others. 

I got home in time for dinner and two wild Match Game Syndicated episodes. In the first show, Gene Rayburn yammered on and on for so long, all of the panel but Bill Daily and most of the crew walked off the stage. The abandoned cameras gave us a rare view of backstage and behind the turntables. The second show had Bill taking off his jacket, his tie, and his shoes to give to Charles. (Thankfully, he didn't get any further than that.) 

Finished the night with The Easter Promise. Addie Mills (Lisa Lucas) is excited when real Broadway actress Constance Payne (Jean Simmons) returns to her Nebraska hometown in 1947 to sell her parents' home. She claims Constance and her father James (Jason Robards) were friends in high school, though the truth is, James thinks she's snooty. Constance is not in the best shape when Addie and her friends come to her for autographs, but Addie does manage to talk her into giving out the prizes at their big Spring Style Show and coming over to her family's house for dinner. Constance keeps drinking during dinner and appears at the show drunk. Addie tries to cheer up Constance by convincing her to give her and her friends acting lessons. That works out well the first day...but when they arrive the next day and Constance is drunk again, Addie's ready to give up on her. It's Addie's Grandma (Mildred Natwick) who reminds her that spring is a time for second chances, and it's never too late to get a fresh start in life.

Other than I wish they'd filmed in the authentic small town of The House Without a Christmas Tree and The Thanksgiving Treasure, I enjoy this entry in the series just as much as the others. The style show was especially funny. My favorite outfit was Cora Sue's (Franny Michael) ruffled peach "Hollywood" dress, but Addie's rickrack dress was cute too, especially her hat. The girls at their slumber party and decorating eggs brought back so many memories of how my sisters and I would do the same around Easter. (Mr. Mills would probably be happy to know we used boiled eggs, not blown.) Enjoyable Easter viewing, especially for families with girls Addie's age. 

No comments: