Thursday, August 24, 2023

Cool, Cool Summer

Started off the morning with breakfast and more of The Muppet Show. Linda Lavin of Alice joins in to wish Kermit a happy birthday. Kermit wishes they'd just stick to the originally planned show, but Linda does get to join the Electric Mayhem for a nice "The More I See of You" and the entire cast for "Beyond the Blue Horizon" in the finale. We also find out why operetta spoof singers Wayne and Wanda were dropped when they turn up for a brief number, and Kermit remembers why he fired them to begin with. 

Switched to the 2009 Strawberry Shortcake on The Roku Channel next. "Lights, Camera..." was their series finale. Strawberry and her girls are upset when their favorite movie theater closes, so they try to make a movie worthy of being shown in it. The Purple Pieman wants it for a pie shop and attempts to get Blueberry and Angel cake fighting, but Strawberry insists that they talk out their problems.

Put on Buzzr for Match Game '77 next. The young man whose innocent answer kicked off the infamous "School Riot" was brought back for a second chance in this episode. And then there's Brett's differing answer to what they put a criminal in instead of an electric chair...

Headed out after this episode for a walk...and just to enjoy the afternoon. It was cloudy and breezy, but also blissfully cool for August, barely in the mid-70's. Went to Dollar General, but they didn't have what I wanted. I was going to grab a pretzel for lunch, but the pretzel shop is apparently undergoing maintenance through next Wednesday. I ended up buying a Bodyarmor Lyte at Dollar General and moving on.

The park was wonderfully quiet, too. I saw two girls fishing on the bridge between Oaklyn and Collingswood and heard people in their backyards while walking the trails. Everything else was birds chirping, fish splashing, and the wind rippling through shiny green leaves and the last summer wildflowers.

When I got home, I went straight into lunch and Kid Millions. I go further into this odd Eddie Cantor vehicle with him inheriting a million dollars and being chased by Ethel Merman, among others, in Egypt at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Looked up jobs after the movie. I wish I had a better idea of what I could do with library skills that don't involve working in a library. Most editing and proofreading jobs require more experience than I have, and I don't want to go to school for years and years. I need a job now. And yes, I'm aware of how competitive writing and publishing is. Writing and organizing is what I know. 

(Oh, and it looked like it rained briefly around the time I started writing. I haven't heard it on the roof, so I don't think it's done anything since then.) 

Did some writing next. Joyce enjoys her trip through the Munchkin countryside. It's a lovely land filled with towering trees and fruitful fields. As she settles down for lunch, her dog Rover runs off to chase crows...and finds a familiar scarecrow among them...

Broke for dinner at 7 PM. Watched Match Game '79 while I ate. The parade of well-meaning contestants with terrible answers continues. At one point, the contestant's answer was so off, Gene had everyone hold up their answers to show that they weren't going to match. He thinks it happens again later in the show...but Charles has been known to match contestants others didn't before...

Finished the night on Hoopla again with another title from Verasae Sarabande. Unsung Musicals is a series of CDs showcasing songs from musicals that never made Broadway, had short runs, were off-Broadway, or simply were never recorded. I listened to the elusive third set, which I only found a few years ago. Among my favorites here are the jaunty "At the Same Time" from an earlier stage version of Freaky Friday, the wistful "Wishes Won't Wash Dishes" from The Bone Room, the lovely "Reville Sun" from a short-lived musical version of East of Eden called Here's Where I Belong, and the nostalgic reminiscence about "Hundreds of Hats" from the baseball-themed off-Broadway show Diamonds

No comments: