Tuesday, August 22, 2023

The Interview

Started off the morning with breakfast and Charlie & Lola. "Lucky, Lucky Me" says Lola when she gets a new dress and her grandparents give her and Charlie money to see a movie they're dying to catch. She's disappointed when her dress is ruined and the theater is sold out, but a series of events make her wonder how bad her luck really is.

Karen picked me up at 11:45. As it turned out, we left a little too early. The traffic on the White Horse Pike was a little slow, but nothing too bad. Voorhees around the Town Center was even quieter. We pulled into the Voorhees Library around noon.

The Library remodeled considerably since they stopped doing the book sales in 2019. The children's section had expanded, and there was a huge play area for the kids. The walls were gray, and the carpet had been replaced by wood floor and modern artwork. Karen asked one of the librarians where were were supposed to meet the people doing the interviews. She directed us to the third floor. We went up with a mother and her two energetic, very funny sons.

They went off to find her mother, and we went in search of the office. It wasn't easy. The third floor was all offices, classrooms, and meeting rooms. Two women in an office in the back finally directed us to a smaller office. We waited there for about ten minutes before three librarians kindly directed us to the meeting room across the way.

Considering I was incredibly nervous, I think I did very well. I answered their questions in an adult manner and was as honest as I could be. The only bobble was when one lady asked how I would handle an irate customer. Karen said I hesitated briefly before giving my answer, but it was honest and sounded good.

Unfortunately, the job itself isn't very good. Turns out it's only every other weekend and Monday and Wednesdays from 4 PM to 9 PM. There's no health insurance for part-time workers, and the pay is exactly the same as it is at the Acme. There's also getting home that late. I might not be in until 10 some nights. 

They say they won't finish interviewing and making a decision until late September-early October...but now I'm not sure I want to work in a library. If I do, it probably won't be in a public library. I need better hours and pay, and above all things, health insurance. To be honest, I don't want to go back to school, either. It would take too long for me to become a full librarian, and all the schools with library science majors are in North Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania, and they're all expensive. That's why I didn't go to school for library sciences to begin with.

At least I know now, first of all, that I can do just fine with interviews. Second, I now have a better idea of what I want and don't want in a job. I need to find a job I can do with the skills I have or with just a little brushing-up, full-time hours, and health insurance. Trouble is, I'm not so sure how well I'd do with data entry, either, and everyone's always saying how competitive writing and publishing are. 

And Karen said I did very well on my interview. I thought so, too. At least I know I can give interviews now. It was just like acting, really. We talked about it as she drove me back down the White Horse Pike, this time hitting traffic around Lawnside.

After I got home, I had lunch while watching more of the Gene Deistch Tom & Jerry shorts. Tom is shanghaied by an angry muttering Captain Ahab to catch "Dickie Moe" the great white whale. Jerry would rather annoy both of them. "The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit" sounds more like a Garfield & Friends spoof short from 20 years later and is a bit meta for these two. The cartoon starts with the two and various weapons being pulled of a box and somehow ends with them attacking each other with judo moves. "Tail In the Trap" has stranger in town Tom going after cheese rustling Jerry.

Headed out to run to Target next. Along with replacing other vitamins, I decided to try fish oil to increase my memory and focus. Needed pads rather badly; I had a coupon for the U by Kotex. Couldn't find the gum mouthwash I had been using, so I grabbed Tom's. Picked up more of the glazed and honey roasted almonds. 

Decided to give myself a treat for doing so well on that interview. Cuthbert was usually quiet for almost rush hour, enough for me to get across quickly and make my way to WaWa. Experimented with the Coke Freestyle machine and made my own Coke Zero Citrus Cream - aka Coke Zero Orange Vanilla and Lime. (And Coke needs to return both to the regular market. I miss them, especially that tasty Orange Vanilla.) Had an easier time filling my medium cup than shoving the top on! The lid just wouldn't snap on. It was supposed to fit the small and the medium, but it didn't seem to work with the medium. It took me ten minutes to get the darn thing on.

Spent the rest of the afternoon at home, watching Palmy Days online. I go further into comedian Eddie Cantor's second big hit with Samuel Goldwyn at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews Blog.


Worked on writing for a while after the movie ended. Chef Munchkin gives Joyce a basket of goodies for lunch. Papa Munchkin finally sends her on her way, warning her not to leave the Golden Road. Joyce is more concerned about actually finding someone who can get her home. She knows what the Wizard is like in the book.

Broke for dinner at quarter after 7. Watched Match Game '79 while I ate. Joyce lets Bowser wear her long pearls in the opening. Meanwhile, Gene gives everyone a very scary close-up leading into a commercial break!

Finished the night with something different at Hoopla. They have most of the Veresae Sarabande musical CDs, including the Lost In Boston and Unsung Musicals collections. I listened to one I do have that's a favorite, Prime Time Musicals, and one I don't have, Shakespeare On Broadway

Prime Time Musicals collects songs from TV musicals of the 50's and 60's. Probably the most famous is "Love and Marriage" from a musical Our Town, here paired with the Comden-Green song "Getting Married" from I'm Getting Married. Others I like include "One Hand Tied Behind My Back" from the western No Man Can Tame Me, the relaxed "One Day at a Time" from High Tor, the sweet "Listen To Your Heart" from the Mickey Rooney Pinocchio, and the lovely "Ride On a Rainbow" from Ruggles of Red Gap

(And oh, how I would love to find some of these musicals in full! Some, like High Tor and the Cole Porter Aladdin, have turned up on YouTube and elsewhere on and offline. Sadly many others, including No Man, Ruggles, and Pinnochio, remain elusive.) 

Shakespeare On Broadway gives us songs from productions based on famous plays by the Bard. Some, like "Tonight" from the modern Romeo & Juliet revamp West Side Story and "Sing for Your Supper" and "Dear Old Syracuse" from the Rodgers and Hart comedy The Boys from Syracuse, remain popular today. Others aren't as well-remembered. Rockabye Hamlet was a Canadian hard rock show that flopped so badly on Broadway in 1975, it didn't even run a week. Too bad, as the songs "If My Morning Begins" and "The Last Blues" are driving rhythm numbers that definitely deserve to be better-known. 

Other lesser-known tunes here include "I To the World" from another adaptation of The Comedy of Errors, Oh Brother and the doo-wop ballad "What Do I Know" from a very late 60's off-Broadway rock version of Twelfth Night, Your Own Thing, The ballad "Darn That Dream" came from Swingin' the Dream, an African-American jazz version of A Midsummer's Night Dream set in New Orleans that wasn't a hit in 1939, but whose racial politics fascinates many theater historians today. Also look for the three versions of "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" from Kiss Me Kate, including two with a few updated lyrics, along with a much slower "Too Darn Hot." 

No comments: