Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Wheels and Matches

Started off a late morning with breakfast and Fireball 500. I go further into this stock car racing melodrama with Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, and Fabian at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked on writing while the movie was on. Ira threatens Joyce when he finds out she landed on his boss. The Silver and Ruby Slippers belong to him, not to her. Patti just tells him to go fly a broomstick. He does head off in his custom black and green Mustang, but not before he tells Joyce he'll get those slippers and their magic back no matter what it takes.

Broke for lunch and The Busy World of Richard Scarry at 1:30. Huckle forgets his shopping list and can't remember what his mother asked him to buy. It turns into "The Best Mistake Ever" when it turns out his mother's pretty forgetful, too. "Sneef, the Best Detective In Europe" has captured the worst criminals in France and is hoping for a new case. He keeps seeing what looks like suspicious characters on the train to Nice, but his assistant just wants him to enjoy his birthday. Huckle and Lowly's first attempt at "Camping Out" in the backyard proves to be scarier than either of them planned, especially the noises they hear at night.

Headed out to work shortly after the cartoon ended. Work was mostly really boring. We were off-and-on steady all afternoon. It's the middle of the only month of the year with no major holidays. Most people are on vacation, or at least out enjoying the hot and humid mid-80's temperatures. I did have problems with the last order. Two women fussed at me and got me flustered, and the manager fussed at me because I didn't check the twenties and made change for the women to get them off my back when we're supposed to send them to customer service to make change. 

I was in a terrible mood when I went home. Put on Match Game '79 to cheer me up while I ate dinner. Dick and Dolly Martin always had so much fun when they played together. Dick, however had by far the best answer to where the doors on a cheap four-door sedan were placed. They had far less luck with "We've Got __" in the Audience Match.

Finished the night on Pluto TV trying something different. Pluto's Wheel of Fortune channel now shows vintage episodes from the 80's and 90's. I checked out what I believe to be an early 90's episode on demand and went to live streaming for two 1986 shows. 

Wow. I wish my mother and sisters could have been there to play along. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the 1986 shows first-run. They were just like I remember them, with people choosing prizes between games instead of them all being on the wheel, a very boyish Pat Sajak, and the glittery sunbursts in back of the contestants. Both contestants even won their bonus rounds, something I don't remember happening that often later in the 80's. Jack Clark was the gentlemanly announcer. 

No comments: