Thursday, January 11, 2024

Comedy Is on the Air

Began the morning with breakfast while watching more Green Eggs and Ham. Guy and Sam flee the train after cops McWinkle and Glutz try to get the Chickagriffe. Michellee isn't happy, either. She thinks Guy lied to her about the Chickagriffe and where EB was the night before. The guys first end up in a quarry, but when they figure out that the Chickagriffe (which EB dubbed Mr. Jenkins) likes to eat ribbons, they make their way to a farm. The only tie at the nearby farmhouse belongs to a neurotic "Fox"  named Michael, who is in love with a green hen and doesn't want anyone - including them - to know.

Quickly made my bed, then went on Zoom for my appointment with Irene Perez. She suggested looking up government jobs. That would be a great idea, if most of them didn't seem to be for legal secretaries, teaching, lawyers, or nurses. She pointed to a communications operator...which turned out to be someone who could repair and operate radios and similar media. I don't think she really understood what I'm good at. 

Truth be told, I'm not sure what I'm good at, either. I agreed to send her updates once a month, but I don't know if anything will come of this. I know I don't want retail, but I'm not really sure what I'm good at, besides reading, writing, and editing. I'm not even sure I can handle an office job, or how fast I can type. What can I do? I wish I knew what was right for me. I do need to write a cover letter; I already signed the paper that says where I want to work.

Headed out after I finished with the paperwork. I wanted to get to the Westmont Plaza before the weather starts getting nasty. It looks like we're going to have another heavy rainstorm tomorrow night, and maybe even some snow Tuesday evening. In addition to the precipitation, it's supposed to drop into the upper 20's-lower 30's, too. Next week is not going to be a good time for long walks. 

Today, however, remained gorgeous. It was sunny and relatively warm, in the upper 40's, and the wind from yesterday had long blown itself out. It was so nice, I walked to Westmont with the cart instead of taking Uber. 

Hit Sprouts first when I arrived. Decided I would try a different brand of coconut milk that was on sale and had less sugar. The breakfast cookies remain on sale, too. Made Good granola bars were also on a decent sale; I picked up the mixed berry. They had vegan chocolate chip cookie samples out; they were so good, I decided to try a box on clearance. 

Mainly needed fish oil vitamins at Target. Figures they'd be out of their generic brand. I bought the second-cheapest brand I could find. Grabbed more of that Listerine Gum mouthwash; they're the only ones who sell the smaller size. Picked up one container of yogurt for tomorrow. 

Dollar Tree was the only one of the three stores that was even remotely busy, and even that wasn't bad. Grabbed two Zest soaps here. Was going to pick up a Pepsi Zero, but opted to try their giant off-brand grape electrolyte drink instead. Oooh, glad I went with the water. It was terrific, better than Propel's, and came in a bottle twice the size of Propel. 

Enjoyed a nice, long hike up Cutbert and the White Horse Pike to the pretzel shop down the street from me. I was the only one there when I picked up a cheesesteak-stuffed pretzel, two small pretzels, and a can of Diet Pepsi. Got my lunch, headed home.

Watched Tattletales while I put everything away and had lunch. The week with Greg Morris and his wife Lee, Janet Lynde and William Gray Espy, and Jack and Keiko Douglas continues. This time, Janet and William were the ones who couldn't get anything going. Although they did managed to get the last question right, Greg and Lee just barely won over Jack and Keiko.

Looked at more jobs online, then switched to Silver Skates on Amazon Prime. I go further into the first vehicle for charming British figure skating star Belita at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked on my review while watching more WKRP In Cincinnati. Andy learns that he's not so different from Arthur Carlson when the punk group he hires for WKRP's first sponsored concert, Scum of the Earth, turn out to play "Hoodlum Rock." They're polite and well-dressed, but also cause trouble wherever they go and even drive Johnny crazy. Andy and Arthur wonder what happened to bands who just get up onstage and play instead of making demands and doing damage.

Johnny's doing his latest morning broadcast from an electronics store when there's a "Hold-Up" by a desperate former disc jockey. Turns out the guy just really, really wants a chance to be on the air. Meanwhile, the others at the station try to figure out how to get Johnny and the store's nervous owner (Hamilton Camp) some help.

"Bailey's Show" is the first big project for the sweet, shy assistant. She's hoping to have Johnny interview people off the street, but most of those people are a bit too weird to broadcast. The arrival of a seemingly legitimate child psychologist gives Bailey hope, but he turns out to be even stranger than her earlier interviewees. 

Andy's back in the spotlight when "Love Returns" in the form of country star Linda Taylor (Barrie Youngfellow). Linda was his girlfriend in New Mexico, but they broke up when she took her act on the road. They rekindle her romance, making him wonder if he wants to stay in Cincinnati or be with her. 

Did some things online before I broke for dinner and Match Game '79. The first episode began with Brianne Leary finally doing a cartwheel after she said she would earlier in the week. Joyce Bulifant is also very happy when she's able to match a question about what the musician's wife gave birthday and Bob Barker next to her not only misses it, but spells his answer wrong. In the second, Jon Bauman isn't impressed when Joyce gives him pearls to wear with his black t-shirt, and Gene gets really scary when he shoves his face at the camera to get them to switch to a commercial!

Finished the night at YouTube, which seems to be the only place I can find the original Fantasy Island at the  moment. Went with one of the episodes from the last season, when Christopher Hewlett's butler replaced Tattoo. Said butler is constantly getting splashed by the angry sea princess Nadia in "The Mermaid and the Matchmaker." She claims she's bored and wants to be a mortal, at least before she falls in love with a handsome former diver. A loan analyst (Bert Convy) thinks he's "The Obsolete Man" when a woman engineer (Gloria Loring) creates a computer that can do his job. He's worried about being replaced, until his secretary tries to destroy the machine, and he realizes how much she loves him...and how important human communication is. 

No comments: