Thursday, January 18, 2024

Queen Bees at the Movies

Began the morning with a very quick breakfast and Green Eggs and Ham. Guy and Sam are in the "Dark" when the fox thinks they're after his eggs and chases them off the farm. They find themselves stranded with the Chicagriffe at a junk yard. Guy accidentally rekindles his creative spark when it's his inventions that save them from toxic sludge, and then get them to the nearest town. Meanwhile, Michellee takes EB to a quiet bed and breakfast. Her daughter thinks she doesn't understand her creative talents, but Michellee turns out to have talents over her own.

Headed off around quarter after 11. Ironically, considering all the trouble I've had getting Uber drivers over the past two days, I got one in 6 minutes this morning. No trouble on the road, either. He pulled up near the Cinemark 16 Movie Theater in a little over 20 minutes.

The Applebee's next door was dead when I arrived. I only saw two other groups of young adults having an early lunch. I think I'll go somewhere else next time. I did appreciate the hot black tea with lemon and honey, but the cheeseburger was flat and nothing special, especially for the $13 I paid for it. 

My quick run to Dollar Tree wasn't as quick as I would have liked, either. By 12:30, it was busy with the lunch rush hour crowd. All I wanted was a card for my niece Lilah's birthday and another one of those off-brand electrolyte waters in the giant bottles, but the line was across the store. Good thing another one opened, or I might still be there.

It was also a good thing I bought my tickets ahead of time, and the theater was the first one you saw when you made your way to the back. I barely had enough time for a bathroom break before rushing into the theater to see Mean Girls. I go further into the musical version of the 2004 teen comedy at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


In fact, I got there just in time for the commercials. You couldn't pay me to touch the horror movies The First Omen or Imaginary with a million-foot pole, but other movies coming out this year look far more up my alley. I'll likely review One Love, a biography of Bob Marley due next month, for my blog. Also of interest next month is Argylle, a Romancing the Stone-esque spoof of secret agent cliches about a writer whose thrillers seem to be influencing a group of real secret agents. Pixar's Inside Out 2 and the comedy IF (Imaginary Friends) look like they'll be worth checking out in late spring and early summer. 

Headed up the hill to WalMart after the movie ended. Thank goodness most of the sidewalks around the theater and WalMart had been salted, though I did have some difficulty dodging carts that were piling up around the curbs. On one hand, the weather was cloudy and blahh, but it was also slightly warmer than it has been, and much less windy, making for a decent hike.

I was hoping to find the Mean Girls soundtrack on vinyl, but once again, they look like they're waiting on it. Ended up with the original Sean the Sheep shorts series and Superman: The Animated Series from 1996 on DVD. Did some grocery shopping here as well. Picked up those Junkless granola bars, just enough yogurt for tomorrow and Saturday, raspberry lemonade Propel mix, and white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies on clearance.

Had no trouble getting home, either. The bus was right on time and barely half-full. It pulled up in front of the dentist's office on the White Horse Pike in Oaklyn at around quarter of 5. 

Did job hunting while watching more WKRP In Cincinnati. A woman leaves her baby on the studio's doorstep during Johnny's show. He's annoyed at first, but  he becomes so enamoured with the child that he claims "I Want to Keep My Baby," at least until he can find the mother.

Herb is hoping "A Commercial Break" for a funeral home chain will bring a lucrative and much-needed advertising contract to WKRP. The director claims he's looking for a hipper image that'll sell his plots to younger people. Arthur's not sure that's in the best taste, no matter how good the money is.

Everyone wants to know "Who Is Gordon Sims?" when the US Army shows up looking for him. Turns out he's Venus, a Vietnam War deserter who went AWOL shortly before the war ended. Arthur and Andy have to defend him and remind the Army that the war was long over by 1979. 

Worked on writing next. Avery can't get them over the larger chasm, so Richard chops down a long log to get them across. Avery's clumsy paws almost fall, but he does manage to get over.

Finally broke for dinner and Match Game '79 at 7:30. Gene doesn't do too well in this episode. First, he gets so tire of having to re-read a question to the panel, he ends up hiding behind  his sliding doors, and then Bill Daily "attacks" him over a bad answer. Later on, some of the comments he gave to a woman about her accent would likely offend a few people nowadays. Charles spends the episode wearing a hat with a blue card that says "tacos." 

Finished the night with the original Mean Girls on Paramount Plus after a shower. As I said on my musical blog, I never saw this until tonight. I was an adult when it came out in 2004 and had no interest in teen comedies. I don't love it the way a lot of people who grew up watching it in the 2000's do, but I did enjoy both versions. Lindsay Lohen was a much better Cady, especially when she realizes how much trouble she caused during the second half of the film, and Rachel McAdams was a marvelously nasty Regina.

Unfortunately, this movie very much reflects the attitudes of the time. A lot of the racial and sexual stereotypes have dated badly, making the teens' problems seem more comical than scary. It's still recommended for older teens the age of the kids in the movie who have been bullied or know how it feels to be caught up in cliques. 

No comments: