Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Matches On Ice

Got a quick and late start this morning with breakfast and Charlie and Lola. "Snow Is My Favorite and My Best" says Lola, who waits and waits for the snow to start. When it does come, she, Charlie, Marv, Lotta, and Sizzles have a wonderful day sledding and making snow angels. Lola is disappointed when it's all gone the next day. Charlie takes her to the Arctic to show her why it wouldn't be much fun for it to snow all the time. 

I figured, with most of the roads clear, I'd have more luck getting a ride to work today. Nope. Once again, it took me 10 minutes to find a ride, and another 13 for them to arrive, which meant I was fifteen minutes late again. It warmed up enough by 2 that my driver going home only took six minutes to arrive. There was a little traffic going home, but it was going in the opposite direction.

Thankfully, that was the worst thing that happened the entire day. We were so dead when I arrived, I'm not sure anyone noticed I was late. By the time it started to pick up, I was almost done. I cleaned the bathroom and the employee room, swept the store, and gathered carts. That wasn't so bad. There were some icy patches on the parking lot, mainly around the corralls, but the sun felt warm when you could get out of the stiff breeze. I made sure to dress warmly, in layers and the new winter books Mom gave me for Christmas.

When I got home, I changed and had a snack while watching the 1985 Let's Make a Deal on Buzzr. Buzzr claims they've been running these at 2 for the show's 60th anniversary, but I suspect it has more to do with them switching the schedule around. At any rate, I got to see some of the most 80's costumes of the entire series. A lady in a track suit and bandana and a woman dressed as a perfect Charlie Chaplin won $1,000 and ended up hanging onto it. A young woman wearing a terrific Rainbow Brite outfit and her baseball player husband didn't do so well winning a luxury Greek trip, but they did pick up a modular sofa. They traded that in at the end, along with a pair of college co-eds in costume as Wonder Woman and Robin. The co-eds only picked up a little money in the Piggy Bank...but Rainbow Brite and her guy got the Big Deal of the Day, an extremely 80's dining room set. 

Went down for a nap after that. I've had a long couple of days. Plus, I don't think passing out in the gaming chair while watching Road to Utopia yesterday was a great idea. My right hip is really sore. I must have pulled a muscle. 

Passed out around 3 and didn't get up until past 5:30. Worked on writing for a while. Avery does manage to get everyone across, but they're more frustrated when they come across a larger chasm. This time, Richard is able to cut a log for them to walk over.

Broke for dinner and Match Game '76 at 6:30 (despite Buzzr's website saying they're still on PM). We start off with everyone figuring out "Jolly __" in the Audience Match. Fannie Flagg's slip of the tongue later would result in a contestant returning. Meanwhile, Gene fields jokes about his latest plaid jacket.

Spent the rest of the night on YouTube, honoring Betty White's 102nd birthday with two of her best episodes from 1974 through 1978. I came in to see everyone helping sweet Janet Finn with "Shuffle ___" in the Audience Match in 1974. Things got crazy when Orson ran down to kiss Gene and Richard and Betty ended up making out in their chairs!

The 1975 episodes were the two best from the hilarious week she and Allen Ludden appeared together. The second one, where Gene says "I've had Betty" in response to someone choosing her for the Audience Match, is especially funny. Love Brett and Betty really getting into "The Star Spangled Banner," too. She witnessed Richard spend a week flirting with a beautiful blonde contestant in 1976 and met another, much younger lady named Betty White in 1978. 

We also saw a lot of Betty rolling Gene's pants legs up, which she did when he would talk to the upper tier. When she did it during that week Allen joined her, he asked if she did that when  he wasn't there. (Yes, Allen, she does.) Once, she started, but Richard ended up finishing the dirty deed. In 1976, Lee Merriweather scooted out to roll his pants down. 

Honor Betty's birthday with some of her funniest moments on Match Game (including tonight's regular 1975 chat "premiere" episode, which also featured Betty). 

No comments: