Sunday, January 28, 2024

Into the Rain

Unfortunately, I overslept this morning. Didn't have time for much of anything but quickly writing in my journal, grabbing breakfast, and calling Uber. Fortunately, Uber was more on the ball than me. The driver took five minutes arriving in the morning. Didn't even take a minute when I finished work, and that was at 4 PM during rush hour on a rainy Sunday. 

I had a lot less trouble at work. I had to sweep the store when I arrived, but the afternoon bagger arrived around 11 and took over that. It had been cloudy, windy, and chilly when I went out to do carts. The rain arrived around 10, a fine, misty rain that continued, sometimes heavily, for the rest of the day. When I got too wet, I'd go inside and put away items people didn't want. No trouble whatsoever.

Went straight  home and upstairs to change. Listened to Wish while I got organized. This movie has had so much trouble, but I don't think the fault is in the music. Some of it is quite lovely. I'm especially fond of "At All Costs" and Chris Pine's villain song "This Is the Thanks I Get?" I suspect people were expecting more out of Disney than a strange little story about a girl who wants to release all the wishes trapped by the king of her land. 

Switched to the less comic Into the Woods next. I have the original cast of the dark musical fantasy that entwines the Grimm versions of four famous fairy tales - Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel, and Little Red Riding Hood - with a story about a baker and his wife who, on the advice of the Witch, go into the woods to find the four ingredients that will allow them to finally have a child. Everyone gets what they want, then regrets it when the wife of the giant Jack killed comes after them. Dark show is not for everybody, but some of Sondheim's best songs can be found here. I love "Last Midnight," Jack's "Giants In the Sky," Little Red and the Wolf's "Hello Little Girl," the Princes' "Agony," and the touching "No One Is Alone" and "Children Will Listen."

Went downstairs to take a shower and have dinner, then finished the night on YouTube with tonight's Match Game marathon. Energetic and charming Fred Grandy appeared on the show far more often than any other Love Boat actor. He was a semi-regular during the show's syndicated years. In fact, he made his first appearance during the final week on CBS in 1979 and turned up one last time on Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour in 1983. 

Probably Fred's most infamous incident was when his Love Boat co-star Ted Lange turned up and demanded he return the suit he wore this second. Fred ended up stripping down to his shorts and t-shirt. There was also the week in 1980 when he and Bart Braverman annoyed everyone by constantly playing with kazoos and other loud noisemakers. He also got to see Gene Rayburn get a nasty shock on the question holder...and then a worse one after Charles said he could take over the hosting. He was around for that wild week on Match Game-Hollywood Squares where McLean Stevenson complained that he got marker on his pants. The replacements Gene gave him were too big, prompting him to reveal more than anyone ever wanted to see right to the camera!

Let's hit the high seas with the pursuer on the Pacific Princess and a future politician in this wacky marathon!

No comments: