Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Getting Things Done

Kicked off a late morning with a quick breakfast and Care Bears Family on Tubi. Champ tries to teach a little boy that there's "No Business Like Snow Business." The boy is afraid to go skiing again after he had an accident, but Champ takes him on various winter sports to remind him how fun it can be. Shreeky, however, is determined to trap Champ and keeps interfering with him and the boy. Meanwhile, Baby Hugs and Tugs beg Grump to take them sledding and skiing, even though he hates the snow.

Headed out for an errands run after the cartoon ended. I was originally going to go on Thursday, but that's the day we're supposed to get the heaviest rain. It was just cloudy today and much warmer, into the lower 40's. I decided to test my wrist by taking the bike, since many of the sidewalks are likely still clotted with snow and ice.

My first stop was the Haddon Township Library. I haven't visited them as often in the past  year because I keep buying or getting books. I'm on the last one I received as a gift, Red Sky at Morning, now. Besides, I wanted to catch up on some of my favorite mystery series. I also found a book I'd wanted to read after seeing the advertisement for the movies. I ended up with

Joanne Fluke - Pink Lemonade Cake Murder

Laura Childs - Honey Drop Dead

Paul Galico - Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris and Mrs. Harris Goes to New York

Joanna Winspear - A Sunlit Weapon

Rode across the street to the Westmont Plaza next. Had lunch at the Westmont Bagel Shop. Despite it being 1:30, they weren't busy at all when I arrived. The only other people there were three older women lunching together. I enjoyed my spinach and feta omelet, toasted pumpernickel bagel, and roasted potatoes while listening to their chatter and reading Pink Lemonade Cake Murder.

Next stop was Sprouts. Wanted to pick up more coconut milk and those breakfast sandwiches on sale. Navel oranges were on a really good sale too, $1.98 for a large bag. Cans of Zevia were on sale $1.59 each. Decided I wanted to try different flavors, so I ended up with Creamy Root Beer, Ginger Root Beer, Cherry Cola, Cream Soda, and regular cola.

(Oh and...my wrist was still sore when I got home. I think I'll give it another few weeks and see how things go.) 

After I got home, I took the laundry downstairs, then did something I'd been putting off. I called L.L Bean to finally pay the $6.50 for the UPS shipping on my returned boots. The lady was really nice about it. Called them, gave them my number to pay, got off.

Put the laundry in the dryer, then did job hunting while watching Get Yourself a College Girl on the Internet Archive. I go further into this winter-set 60's teen movie at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked on writing next after bringing my laundry upstairs. Joyce appreciates the guys helping her, but she's worried that Ira may send more mooks. All three claim they're in it for the long haul. Avery is afraid to go back, and Richard and Charles have nowhere else they can go.

Broke for dinner and Match Game '79 at 7 PM. The first episode kicked off with Charles teasing Brett about her rather lovely black medieval-style dress. (Not that Charles was one to talk. He was wearing a green and orange satin jacket that made him look like an oversized jockey.) The others have a harder time figuring out a question about what Sleeping Beauty gets when she's awakened.

Sadly, the first episode of the next week is currently the only 1979 show that's lost. We pick up with cowboy Guich Kooch, Debralee Scott, and Paul Williams. Betty White hears her own jokes about the lions embroidered on her blue shirt, while Williams is far more nervous to help the contestant with "__ Towels" on the Head-to-Head.

Finished the night with more second season WKRP In Cincinnati. Everyone at the station is ready to head for the hills when Herb takes a second job as an insurance salesman. The only employee he manages to corner is Les, who becomes a "Bad Risk" when he crashes his scooter into the home of an elderly couple.

"Jennifer Falls In Love" with the handsome repair man at her building named Steele (Thomas Calloway) and is more than happy to tell Bailey all about it. She's shocked when it turns out the guy is only interested in her after Les gives away that she's the highest-paid person at the studio, which makes her reconsider her stance on the older men she dates who give her gifts.

Johnny learns the hard way about the power of the airwaves when he jokingly tells listeners to dump their garbage at the steps of Cincinnati's city hall during a garbage strike, and they actually do it. He's so shocked that they're actually listening that he develops "Mike Fright." Venus and Andy try to figure out a way to get him talking again.

Arthur's as shocked as anyone when his wife Carmen (Allyn Ann McLerie) reveals they're soon going to hear the "Patter of Little Feet." He's delighted at first, until his mother (Carol Bruce) reminds them of their ages and suggests an abortion. Like Les at the baseball game, they finally come to the conclusion that if it's something you really want, age is nothing but a number. 

No comments: