Saturday, January 20, 2024

Queen of Games

The day did not begin well. I overslept and had just enough time to read, write, and eat before calling Uber. Once again, it took me forever to get a driver and them 13 minutes to arrive. And yeah, once again, I was 15 minutes late to work. Ironically, it wouldn't take me anywhere near that long to get home. By 3:30, the roads had been sufficiently cleared for me to get a driver and seconds and him to arrive in 2 minutes.

Considering the high today was 25, it's just as well that I spent the morning and early afternoon helping out in the floral department. I made small arrangements of alstroemeria flowers, one purple, one white, one yellow, and one a beautiful blushing, blooming cherry pink. Tied bows onto two earlier arrangements that Lorraine, the floral manager, made. I watered the plants while she was on lunch, then tried to put out the mylar Valentine's Day and birthday balloons she had inflated. I was able to get the Valentine's Day balloons on the tables, but the birthday balloons got too tangled for me to fix. Had more luck hanging baby shower balloons by the registers and birthday, anniversary, and number balloons on top of the cards. 

Got my schedule yesterday, but confirmed it today. In good news, three days off, mostly floral department work except Sunday (when the floral department is closed) and Wednesday (when the head bagger is off) and Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday off. Checking the Cherry Hill Mall's website revealed that the job fair was postponed to this coming Friday, so I'll still be able to attend. I do have fewer hours, but that's to be expected in late January. There's nothing really major going on right now, and won't be until the middle of next month.

Did a little grocery shopping after work. I mainly needed a gift card for Lilah, my niece who just turned 9. Had no idea what to get a 9-year-old, so I went with Michaels'. I know there's one in Cape May County. Mom worked there when it first opened. I restocked apples, yogurt, bagels, and the Kind protein granola bars in the two-packs. 

Went straight home and into tonight's Match Game marathon. (I had dinner and took a shower later in the evening.) Tonight was a more thorough celebration of Betty White's 102nd birthday than the short marathons on Wednesday. Though it did repeat some of the episodes from Wednesday, there were shows from 1973, 1978, 1979, and syndication that hadn't been seen earlier in the week. In one of Betty's earliest episodes in 1973, black actor Stu Gilliam took offense to "___ Tom" on the Audience Match. 

If nothing else, we got to see Betty's love of stripping. She did a mock-strip act at least five times during the course of the marathon. There was the one in 1978, a year later in 1979, and late in the syndicated run when everyone commented on her black see-through blouse. There was also the time Foster Brooks of the lovable drunk act "frisked' Betty while searching for Dick Martin's wallet earlier in '79.

My favorite episodes that hadn't already turned up came from the syndicated and nighttime runs. Betty made a grand entrance in another late syndicated show wearing a short flaming red dress that amply showed off her still-excellent legs. Later in the show, Sharon Farrell and Richard Paul inadvertently demonstrate mud wrestling and a man with a very scary laugh freaks out McLean so much, he takes off. Allen and Betty made one of their last appearances on TV together on a nighttime show from 1981. They're joined by Jimmie Walker and Jonnelle Allen, who get to see Betty and Allen enjoy sitting next to each other. 

Celebrate the life of the Queen of Game Shows with some of her best moments!


Finished the night with the Rankin-Bass Return of the King. I go further into this animated retelling of the beloved fantasy novel at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: