Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Cabbage Sprouts in New Jersey

Despite a light shower, I began my morning with my second-to-last farm market/bank run of the year. Next week is the last day of this year's Collingswood Farm Market. I'm certainly going to miss it when its gone. Though many booths weren't there today, whether because of the rain or the late date, I found many things I needed or wanted to try. I eventually bought broccoli, leeks, carrots, red and green peppers, cute little pears, mushrooms, the first Brussels sprouts of the year (and the first ones I've ever tasted), and my last jars of farm-market fresh molasses and Cranberry-Pear Butter of the year.

Went home, put everything away, and fiddled around on the computer for a while. I made a leek, cheese, and broccoli Frittata for lunch while watching the Good Eats episodes on Brussels sprouts and broccoli for ideas on what to do with them.

Headed for work after finishing lunch. The rain was long gone by then, leaving cloudy skies. It was still windy and chilly, but not as windy or as chilly as the last couple of days. My rides to and from work were a bit winded, but not too bad.

Work was very busy all day, not surprising, given that we're not only two weeks from Thanksgiving, but this is a big birthday month as well. My relief was late, so I just shut down when I was finished.

After I was done, I did my own grocery shopping. I had coupons for Acme yogurt, Cool Whip (which was also on sale), and Dr. Oteker mousse mixes, so I bought a graham cracker crust to make a pudding pie. Also bought ground turkey (on sale), individual packs of fish, granola bars, green tea, parchment paper (for holiday baking), aluminum foil (I ran out yesterday), skim milk, cheese, white cooking wine, and dried cranberries.

I had debated eating out tonight, but I finally decided that I was too pooped after work to run anywhere but home. I opted for leftover beef chuck steaks and steamed Brussels sprouts instead.

(And by the way, I have discovered that I really like Brussels sprouts. Yes, they have bite, but I like bite in my veggies. They're tasty steamed, can be shredded into cole slaw, and make a nice little snack if you cut off the bottoms.)

1 comment:

Tina said...

Cut the sprouts in half and roast them in a 500 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Caramelized, crispy, tender, sweet, delicious.